How do I get him to sleep in his own bed?

My little boy did sleep in my bed until he was 2 1/2 years old but we bought him a really cool bed and he started sleeping in it every night. I have recently started a new job and every night since I've started he has been in the bed with us. I did stay at home with him for a couple of months before I started this job but other than that I'm not sure whats going on with him. How do I get him back in his own bed?

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 9:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is probably just missing the attention. Maybe buying him something for his bed like a cool wall-E pillow or a new bob the builder blanket will help make it new and exciting again.

ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 9:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I think some sheets that he really likes and maybe a lamp or something that has to stay in his room so he cant take it to your room...
    rockingrobin

Answer by rockingrobin at 9:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• When he comes into your room, walk him back into this room and tell him he has to sleep in his own bed. I've seen this on Super Nanny and it's a battle of wills at first, but it works!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• your first mistake was letting him sleep in there from the beginning...you have to be tough do not say a word and put him back into his own bed
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I've used two methods to get my son to sleep in his own room: 1) is the interruption technique - follow your routine, put him to bed, read to him...spend time with him and then "remember" that you forgot something, tell him you'll be right back, leave and come right back. A few minutes later, do this again for a bit longer...then again and again. After a while, he'll be used to you leaving for longer periods of time, getting used to being in his bed alone again...generally after a week, you can put him to bed and leave for 1/2 hour at a time or until he falls asleep, whichever occurs first! 2) I set rules he has to follow in order to sleep in my room - the current rule is that his nails need to be trimmed - if he doesn't let me trim them, then he sleeps in his bed. You can always find an onerous rule or rules that he doesn't want to follow in order for him to sleep in his room. Worth a try?
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2009