ANY MEDICINE FOR A COUGH

MY DS IS 7 MONTHS OLD AND HE HAS A LITTLE COUGH NO FEVER FOR A FEW DAYS CAN I GET HIM ANY THING LIKE EXPECTORANT OR VICKS PLEASE HELP I WOULD LIKE TO TRY SOMETHING BEFOR WE GO TO THE DOCTOR HES VERY HEALTHY OTHER WISE THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT AND HAVE A GREAT DAY

rjsjjs1

Asked by rjsjjs1 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sometimes a vaporizer or humidifier, depending on the climate where you live, will do the trick, his throat might be dry due to the climate and if you rub vicks on the bottoms of his feet it might help..good luck. but I think if it doesnt work take him to the doctor..
    rockingrobin

Answer by rockingrobin at 9:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Call the pedi. When they are 2 and younger they don't want you giving them anything but a fever/pain reducer. Ask about vicks before using it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Id use the humidifier,really I wouldnt touch the vicks,that can be bad on them even if its the baby kind.I just starting allowing my 3 yr old to use the baby formula.Its pretty dangerous.Id just make sure your childs head is propted when sleeping.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• No, there is nothing OTC for a baby for a cough. It would have to be prescribed, and only if the doctor feels it is necessary. They sometimes prescribe for bronchitis, croup, etc. Not usually for a common cough. You would need to check with them on this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• i was told to give my son half of the infat otc med. that it said on the back and baby vics on his cheast and vics humidifier because we couldnt get meds the next few days and by the time i could get it he didnt need it my son is 9 mths
    shanejrsmommy

Answer by shanejrsmommy at 11:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I put a pillow under the mattress of my son's baby bed and used a humidifier with the vicks vapor in that it works just as if you put it on the child...
    Keatons_mom07

Answer by Keatons_mom07 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• there's been a problem lately with rubbing vicks directly on a baby's skin when they're under 1 year. especially when used often, it can cause erosion since their skin is so thin and sensitive.

when my daughter had a cough, i got some of that johnson's baby vapor bath (look for the green bottle). don't put it right in her bath if she has sensitive skin. what works better is this: stopper up the tub and put about 4-5 capfuls in it. turn the shower on hot water only and let the bathroom steam up. go into the bathroom with her and just sit in there, letting him breathe in the steam. this also works wonders for stuffy noses for both adults and kids!!! don't stay in there for more than 15 minutes, though...you don't want to overheat him!

other ideas: keep her propped up. roll a towel up and put it under the head of her mattress. when he starts coughing, feed him a bit of formula or juice to keep the throat wet.
    MommyToJessica

Answer by MommyToJessica at 11:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2009