Do your kids share a room?

Ok i have a 3 yr old and a 8 months old...When my 8 month old turns 1 i was going to put her in her own room.. We have a 3 bedroom house and the extra bedroom is like a game room full of DH game systems and our computer..things is he does not want to give it up. He wants the girls to share a room! Do you think it is ok for a then 4 year old and 1 year old to share a room?

kaylajean86

Asked by kaylajean86 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 4 year old and 3 year old share a room. I hate it. They sleep much better when by themselves, and they wouldn't be passing colds back and forth as often if they were sleeping in different rooms. (I have a 2 year old in his own room and he's not as sick as often) Could be coincidence...but I don't know
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with them sharing a room at that age I plan on doing the same thing. But when they get older I plan on putting them in their own rooms
    MeNMy2Kids

Answer by MeNMy2Kids at 9:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• We have a 4 bedroom house. My husband wanted one of the bedrooms to be a computer room but I vetoed that idea. I find separate rooms for the kids to be invaluable. That way when they are driving each other crazy they can just go in their room and shut the door. There are benefits and drawbacks. Which way is best just depends on the family.

runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 9:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I think its fine for them to share a room. When I had a smaller house my kids didnt have much of a choice. My boys shared a room almost since birth LOL. My son and daughter shared one when they were 1 & 4, then I moved the boys in together and they were 1 & 2. This went on until we got the 5 bdrm were in now and now they have their own rooms. You have to do what you have to do.

Answer by gemgem at 10:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• We only have 2 bedrooms and 2 boys so obviously they share a room (2 years and 2 weeks old). I have a niece and nephew who have to share a room too (6 and 2 years old).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• my three kids share a room(6, 4, and 2). they usually go to sleep, without much trouble. When we get a bigger house we will probably put James(2 yr old) in his own room, but the girls may still share.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 10:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• To me, I think the kids having their own rooms are very important. My SIL has a three bedroom house, and four kids. The youngest is a newborn, so he is in a bassinat in their room. But of the other three, my neice has her own room and my nephews share a room. She has said that the boys tend to get less sleep because they goof around when they are in bed (they have bunk beds).

I would tell DH to move his stuff so the 4 year old could have her own space. But that is JMO ... we have a three bedroom house and plan on having two kids so each can have their own room.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Yes, the girls get their own rooms.

Tell DH to grow up.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My boys share a room. They have been sharing a room since they were 18 months and 36 months old. I have 3 children and only a 3 bedroom house. I have 2 boys and 1 girl so the boys have to share a room.

Now they are 11 and 9 and they love sharing the room together. They talk to each other all the time and are very close to each other. Yes they still fight sometimes and yes they each have their own time to be alone.

I also grew up sharing a room. When my brother was first born I shared a room with him, then as he got older and I got older, my parents added onto the house and I shared with my 2 sisters.

I do not understand what is so wrong with sharing a room. Not only does it teach children how to share things it also teaches them how to compromise and work together.

JMO, I do not think there is anything wrong with sharing a room, I guess you just have to do what is best for you.

Good Luck

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• OMG

The REASON the children have to share a room is because the DH is an idiot and wants to store his stuff in the other bedroom.

It's not a case of "they have to share a room and make it work" but a case of "DH refusing to grow up".

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2009