reading books to toddler

i try to read books with my son who's 14 months, but he only enjoys flipping pages and wants to get through a page before i'm done reading. so basically, i dont really read much, and he just enjoys turning the pages and feeling the touch and feel things. is that normal? if not, what can i do to let my son's attention last long enough for me to actual read to him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Read what you can but don't stress about it. Point out things on the page to him, say what it is he's pointing at....just go with it...

He'll sit for a book eventually. They have such a short attention span at this age...don't push it or you'll push him away...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Hi my son was the same way at that age they just won't sit still for s story just yet I just described what was in the pictures or made up a story & I have the hard cover books because they will rip apart the regular pages...............just keep reading to him show him the pictures & make it a every day routinue eventually this will prepare him for when he can sit for a couple of min to read to him as the months go by
    FRANCINE818

Answer by FRANCINE818 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• let me see if I can explain this- my son likes the books where there is stuff to feel on the pages. He has one that is 'that's not my dog' where on each page its... "thats not my dog its feet are too fluffy" (or something like that) and then the foot of that animal is fluffy to touch. Maybe those would interest him more
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• lol, my son does that too, we just make up a short story to go by. sometimes he likes me to read and sometimes he just wants to look at the pictures.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• The "story" isn't the point to him. The pictures, the act of turning pages, hearing your voice, that's what he wants.
    As the others said, just read what you can. Learn to shorten the stories instead of trying to read every word. Let him walk away and play while you keep reading. He's still listening.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My son went through the same thing. Its a stage where his attention span is just plain and simply too short. The other ladies have the right idea. keep at it, dont stress, point out whats in the pictures and describe what you see (like "That is a big doggy") , and soon enough story time will be what you expect from it. My son is 28months old and now wants me to actually "read" between 3-5 books every night at bedtime. Have fun momma : )
    shellby22

Answer by shellby22 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My son did the same thing. I just let him play on the floor while I read the story. If he looked up to see the pictures so be it. Sometimes he would sit on my lap and just want to turn pages, so that's what we did. I'd try and point to something but sometimes he was flipping too fast. Anyway, I'd praise him for turning the page. Now he knows what that means.
    Vespa

Answer by Vespa at 2:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My son is the same way. He has a ton of books. I have a weakness.  I can't pass a book sale without buying I. My family also buys lots of books for him. Read what you can. Ask questions about the book. What does the cow say? Where is the ducky? Try to find books that have very few words on each page or books that have flips or slides on the pages, or touch & feels.

Some books that Chris suggests are:

Clifford's Bedtime  by Norman Bridwell

Bath TimeOh my Oh my Oh Dinosaurs! & Barnyard Danceby Sandra Boynton

Maisy's Favorite Animals  by Lucy Cousins

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• LOL - my son wouldn't sit still for a book before 18 months - but he always had access to them. At this age, just exposure is enough - he'll let you know when he's ready to sit still long enough to participate (if not listen). Interactive books are excellent - touchy/feely books, peek-a-boo books, books with pull-out tabs - things that your child an interact with. So just read to him until he's done, even if for a minute - eventually he'll want it longer and longer. Another way of helping your child to experience reading is to make sure he sees you reading whenever you can (hard, I KNOW). As he gets older and starts expressing interest in various things, then you can get him picture books about those things and start his exploration of the world. Have fun!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2009