Bowel Movement Issues?

My 3-week old son gets really red, screams at the top of his lungs, starts kicking and stiffens whenever he has a bowel movement and/or passing gas. I feel helpless whenever I see him go through this. He looks like he is in sooo much pain. Is this normal? When does it stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 6 months old and she used to have that exact same problem. At her 2 month check up I didn't ask about it, but we ended up switching her formula for fussiness. We went to Soy based and she stopped doing it right away. If your formula feeding, this might be the problem. The formula might not be agreeing with him.
    b_pacheco

Answer by b_pacheco at 10:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• It can be normal. Is he breastfed or formula fed?

Try bicycling his legs when you see him do this, or pushing his knees to his chest to help push things out. You can roll a water bottle of warm water on his tummy, to help soothe his tummy. I used gripe water at that age, natural gripe water not little tummies brand.. that i got from a healthfood store. It always helped my daughter better than the mylicon drops and were natural. It contains fennel which is a natural soother.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2009