• In the Spotlight:

Pull ups or underwear?

Hi, My son is 2 years 8 months and we are just about to begin potty training. I am not sure if I should use pull-ups or underware? Most of his weekdays are spent at the sitters, which she'd prefer pull-ups. Also, should the same type of potty be used at home and the sitters (floor vs toilet)? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your help!

jennieoh

Asked by jennieoh at 10:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I only used reg underwear with my first 3 and noticed they potty trained quicker. My last 2 we used pull ups awhile and realized they didnt work as well since they still are basically like diapers so I would end up switching them to reg underwear. I also always got a small potty for them but they didnt use them long. I think at most my kids used their potty chairs maybe 3-4 mths and then went onto the regular potty. I bought a potty seat that attached to the big toilet so they dont fall in instead and it worked better for us.

Answer by gemgem at 10:29 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Well they say to be consistent so keep the pull ups for during the day but as soon as you are home switch to underwear - it is messier but I think it "sinks in" quicker - at least it did with my oldest. And definitely stick with the same thing the daycare has, whether a floor potty or a seat on the big potty so he doesn't get confused. Good luck.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 2:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• as a 2 yr old teacher at a daycare, i think pullups are useless but my husband wanted to get them for our son (who is 2 yrs 9 mths) bc he didnt want him to pee all over the house... but the potty thing doesnt matter...as long as the child knows where to go when he needs to go! lol
    pebbles425

Answer by pebbles425 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• i started my daughter off with pullups..and got absolutely no where!! so i swtiched to regular panties, and she was like perfect after 3 days..(she still used pullups during the night tho, bfor a lil while...and i also do NOT recommend using the floor potties..use a real toilet..like what we all use..lol..i always just used the regular toilet for my daughter, because ive heard that when you use the floor potties you pretty much end up training them twice..and who wants that!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:50 AM on Feb. 1, 2009