what are some negitive things people say to you about homeschooling??

and what do you say back???

homeschool23

Asked by homeschool23 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• They won't learn socialization, as if I lock them in the house and never go anywhere or let them out. Or just "I could never do that". I don't know if that's meant to be a complement, but I get the feeling their judging me as though I might think I'm better than them. I just answer with a laugh, "Sometimes I'm not so sure I can either; I just try."
    LilyofPhilly

Answer by LilyofPhilly at 12:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• They would say I wasn't smart enough - after all the teachers went to college for that, and were certified. What they didn't know is that all teachers aren't certified, yet they work. There are loop-holes to getting the job.
    Socialization - I belonged to a group of about 30 families. We got together every week just to exchange ideas, books, etc. We held music shows, christmas shows, etc. We organized a monthly field trip. And you know if you're paying taxes, you have almost full use of the public school....library, music, phys ed, etc.
    I also didn't live in a cave, so there were plenty of kids in the neighborhood. School isn't for socializing, it's for learning. Too much socializing and how are you getting your work done? Oh yea, must be that 4 hours of homework each night, because you can't get it done in the classroom. haha.
    CONTINUED.....
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• CONTINUED....
    Anyway, my kids are now 29 & 26. My son graduated college with a 4.3 GPA 18 months early. My daughter left schooling after 11th grade and went to college. He makes 70k/year and she makes 75k/year. My son is engaged to be wed this year, my daughter not.
    I'd always got comments on how smart they were, how focused, how well adjusted, how comfortable with everyone, of every race and age. They've worked since they were 16, and they've paid all their own bills since leaving school, never came to me for a handout.
    I think it worked well for us. But it really isn't for everyone. I didn't do it for religious reasons, as many do - and that's okay with me, they were in our circle too. People would say "why aren't you sending them to school?" I'd respond with "why are you sending yours to school?" It never made sense to me to send a tiny 5 year old away all day.
    I'd say it worked for us!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I was homeschooled throughout my whole schoolage years. It benefited me in ways that I was more thirsty for knowledge and at times could choose what I wanted to learn. Rather than in a conventional school where it seems like the whole focus is on test scores and shoving memoriazation down your throat
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I have to applaued you, because i coundn't do it, secondly just because a teacher went to school for it dosen't make them the best. I wouldn't worry about what someone says.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I don't get very many comments where I live; homeschooling is very accepted in my area. I have friends who teach at the public school, I know the principal, school board members, etc. and they are all cool with it.

I do get comments from people on CM (who don't even know me! LOL!). One called me a "holier-than-thou" homeschooler because I said my kids get a better education. Well, I wouldn't be homeschooling if I thought my kids would do worse, now would I?! Of course I think it's better than public school!

I don't know why people get so offended by other peoples choices. All sorts of people on CM say they know a homeschooler who is doing a bad job, yet I know almost 100 homeschool families (I head a homeschool group) and I haven't seen one that is doing a bad job. I DO know one homeschooled child with poor social skills; he has Aspergers Syndrome. Putting him in school wouldn't change that.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Ha ha....I don't get many negative comments. I am a pretty rude person so if someone says "Oh I couldn't possibly homeschool" I usually reply with, "Oh I wouldn't want to homeschool your kids either." and walk away. I enjoy my kids. I love spending time with them. I can't stand when women say "oh you can't homeschool, you don't have a certificate or degree." I look at them and usually ask them to figure an algebraic problem. Most of them can't. Oh well. I am not in this for them.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2009