Has anyone been certified for a foster-to-adopt program? or in WA?

We have been foster parents in Oregon, and are now moving to WA. I still start my training for fostering for the foster-to-adopt program in July. Can anyone tell me about this program and how it differs from just fostering? Any success stories you would like to share? advise or any other helpful information? Anyone foster to adopt a younger child? Thanks!

Jdenos

Asked by Jdenos at 12:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2012 in Adoption

• In Michigan, the regular foster care training and the foster to adopt training were very similar. You had to have the home inspections, prove that you were capable of taking care of your family financially prior to child placement, and the thorough background checks/fingerprinting for both types of care. The only thing that was really different for us, was that if you were open to adoption, they would give you some information on the legalities of what would happen in that case and what assistance programs there were available to help cover the legal fees. Other than that, there was no difference.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• I am in WA state and have fostered here. My parents have two children as well through the foster/adopt program. You are welcome to PM me specific questions and I will help you as best I can.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• We adopted in WA through private adoption.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2012

• Do not use olive crest in Washington. We were foster parents with them doing the foster-to-adopt.It was a nightmare. It took them 10 months to approve our homestudy and they told us they had no clue how to find legally free kids,although they led us to believe they did.Fostering-to-adopt in Washington is just the same as being a plain old foster parent. You will usually have a child who parents have a good chance of being tpr'd,but then again as we all know nothing is ever certain. When i was with olive crest we asked about 28 kid(3 we turned down for safety reason the rest we were told were better of in a home or just never heard back from any one),our case worker didnt even look into half of them. I had to contact the childs social worker,then olive crest would not follow up in a timely fashion or fight for us. So after 2 years and a lack of help we quit being foster parents.
    singlemom416

Answer by singlemom416 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2013