Do you think we've gone soft on kids? I mean kids act out more than they used to and have more protection thanks to CPS

Do you think it's difficult for parents to be a disciplinary because there's that constant fear of our children being taken away if we're too harsh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Yes I agree. If yuor kids go to school/daycare with a little bruise all red flags go up and blame is put on the parents, sometimes cps is called.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• It's ridiculous. Did you see the bus lady that those kids ere tormenting? Yeah my kid would get their asses kicked
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 1:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• Exactly what I'm referring to Mrs. Harsh. I think kids get away with too much crap these days because we're not giving them the spankings they deserve for being disrespectful little creeps! It's ridiculous! I'm sorry but I think we need to start redefining child safety laws and provide parents with the right to punish their children the best way they think will be effective. Spankings aren't beatings. YOu can spank a child without being aggressive and abusive. I was spanked and I learned my lessons.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• no, CPS is trying to stop real child abuse

...but lets cut down on their regulations in hopes that our kids will no longer act out. that will stop all the friends-first, parents-later mentality. it couldnt possibly be the parents...its gotta be CPS regulations. and if its not CPS its the schools. and if its not the schools its the media...anything but the parents. it could never be that parents just arent parenting! (sarcasm off).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• CPS is a joke...at least as far as I have seen. My daughter's boyfriend has a HORRIBLE mother/ father/extended family and they repeatedly get called and do NOTHING but warn her.

I agree spanking is ok- to a certain age and as long as it's not the only think a parent uses for discipline *this coming from someone who SWORE she would never ever do it*

as for bullying- there always has been and always will be that....unfortunately.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• I recently read an article (in a magazine at a doctors office) It said that bullying isn't so much as some feeling bad about themselves, it is about them thinking too much of themselves and not thinking enough of others. It stated that the idea of 'building a child's self esteem' has gone too far. Everyone makes the team, everyone has a turn, you don't keep score, no winners or losers. Everyone gets a trophy and they are constantly told they are doing great even when they are not. In addition, they are not allowed to work things out with peers themselves. At the slightest hint of altercation, the parents jump in. At first I was taken back, but then I began to look at some of the kids in my class. And you know what? I the article might be on to something. Kids today have low regard for others because many of them never had to earn anything or work things out for themselves. It's kinda of sad.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• Spankings are out dated and do not work, there are way too many other intelligent ways to outsmart them and discipline without instilling fear in them with a belt or a paddle, they only learn fear and violence this way but not quite understanding the why behind it. There is a very fine line between spankings and abuse, and a lot of parents cross it, these laws are made to protect the innocent, and like anyting taking to extremes sometimes they fail.....

Answer by older at 2:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• Discipline has to vary from child to child. We have one that a time out is the worse thing that can happen to him. The youngest nothing but a spanking will get her attention. You have to see what works best for each child.

I do think that parents need to step up and stop treating our kids with kid gloves. They need to be held responsible for when they do things. Learn that not everyone makes the team (gets the job). That there are consequences for missing school (work/fired). They all carry over into the adult world and it's our job and no one elses to teach them these things. Others may help but the buck stops at home.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• NO! I think parents don't WANT to discipline! You don't need to beat your children to properly raise them! But raising them takes time, effort and energy, things that parents today simply aren't willing to put out. CPS is in place to stop abuse, but actual discipline and abuse have NOTHING in common. A parent who raises their child and disciplines them properly has no reason to fear CPS. And frankly, CPS will step in if a child is acting out due to a lack of discipline as well... So if anything it's the parents who do nothing who need to worry more than those who do something.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• Absolutely. We've gone from protecting children to not allowing children to experience anything negative ever. And not only when it comes to CPS, it's everywhere. Schools not doing tryouts anymore because children shouldn't feel frustrated or rejected. Schools and clubs making up ridiculous honors and awards so that every child receives one and no one feels "left out". Tons of extracurricular activities so that children don't feel bored, or worse, just goof around for a minutes of not intellectually-stimulating activity.
    How can we expect to raise emotionally healthy children if we don't let them learn to handle their negative emotions? The world isn't gonna cuddle them forever, stroking their egos, making them feel special. And how can a child who has been prevented from experiencing frustration, sadness, rejection, etc learn to deal with those emotions when they happen?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2012