Need help house breaking american bulldog

He uses the pad part of the time but misses alot.

KallaLilli

Asked by KallaLilli at 11:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pets

• i have a pit/american bull dog mix..potty training her was a pain in my ASS..she didnt fully get it till like 4 months old...just take him outside everytime and praise him when he goes and give him a treat everytime...like i said, it took my stubborn Lucy 4 months to get it right, but eventually it worked!! she intentionally goes outside to pee just to come in and get a treat!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• You just have to be consistent and keep at it. Bulldogs are notoriously interested in pleasing their owners. He'll get it eventually. Just keep telling him no when you catch him in the act. Then take him outside and show him where he is supposed to go. Praise him when he does go outside. Also...make sure you take him outside frequently. (If he is the type that only pees when you're not around, then he may be shy about it so leave him in the backyard alone when you take him out frequently). Finally, if he is an older dog (i.e. not a puppy) and hasn't been fixed yet...getting him fixed may help.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• We crate trained out American Bulldog. Take him outside a lot of offer treats when he is a good boy. They're pretty easy to train.

When we got our boy, he was already 11 months old but the previous owners did NOTHING as far as training him, so he came to us knowing nothing. He jumped A LOT on people and he was already 100 pounds. When Christmas came he saw the tree in my house and lifted his stinkin' leg to it, LOL! I was gonna kill that dog! He is so tame now and very good. Never has accidents and doesn't jump. He's very lovable and I'm glad we gave him a chance :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• personally I think puppy pads are a waste of money if you want your dog to pee outside then take them outside atleast every hour to go and twenty minutes after they eat or drink and praise them when they go
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 1:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• babyspots17 I would do that but umm gee I work a 40 hour week outside the home. I am giving him treats when he goes on the pad or outside and praise.
    KallaLilli

Answer by KallaLilli at 7:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I honestly think it confuses dogs to allow them to pee on pads inside the house. If you don't want a mess all over the house when you come home then crate train. Leave the dog kenneled up while you're not home and take him outside immediately when you get home. Dogs don't like to poop or pee where they are sleeping so he'll hold it longer.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i agree 100% w babyspots17
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2009