HOW DO YOU GET A ALMOST 3 YR OLD TO STOP SPITTING HIS DRINKS ALL OVER HIMSELF AND THE HOUSE.

HAVE TRIED DISCIPLINE, TIME OUTS SPANKING ETC.. DONT JUDGE TIL YOU CHANGE THERE CLOTHES 5-8 TIMES A DAY..LOL.. ALSO TRIED LIMITING HIS DRINKS HE IS VERY SNEAKY. HE DID THIS AT ABOUT 15 MONTHS WE HAD TO PUT HIM BACK ON A BOTTLE TIL HE WAS ABOUT 26 MONTHS OLD THEN HE DIDNT DO IT SO WE ASSUMED IT IS A FLOW PROBLEM... BUT I THINK HE DOES IT ON PURPOSE NOW. IVE SEEN HIM DO IT OVER AND OVER . KEEP IN MIND HE HAS ADHD AND IS MILDLY AUTISTIC. BEHAVIORALLY NOT DEVELOPMENTALLY.. PLEASE IF YOU HAVE NO HELPFUL ADVICE KEEP IT TO YOURESELF.. BEAT HIM IS NOT THE ANSWER IM LOOKING FOR.. GOOD MOMS PLEASE RESPOND.

danahake

Asked by danahake at 12:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't I wish I knew!? Mine doesn't do it often, but he likes to spit his sticky juice into his tool kit/stool that has a bunch of parts and holes to let the juice go into every nook and crany!
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 12:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would encourage him with an activity that replaces the stimulation he is getting from the spitting, something he could do with his mouth, such as blowing bubbles or playing a Kazoo. Tell him he can only do these things if he doesn't spit. You could also use a special cup or straws as an incentive. No big fuss, you just remove them if he spits and remind him of the rule. Praise him if he finishes a drink without spitting. He may also have a fascination with fluid itself, in which case a water table, or simple dishpan with water and toys may satisfy him for this stimulation. Whatever you do, do not give him attention for spitting, even negative attention such as yelling because that will reinforce the behavior.

GoddessLily

Answer by GoddessLily at 12:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Don't let him carry his drink around. Only let him drink when he is in the kitchen and you are there to watch him swallow before he walks away. He doesn't need to be carrying a drink around anyway. You only need to watch him this way for a while- it isn't forever.
    What they did before sippy cups with valves to prevent spilling was to only give a drink in the kitchen and the child did not walk around with it, so this is a reasonable method.

Answer by Bmat at 12:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I take it away each time my 3 year old DD does it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would have him drink only at the table.  If he spitted his drink out I would take his drink away and tell him that if he spits his drink out of his mouth you will take his cup away.  Follow through when he does not spit tell him how happy and proud you are that he did not spit.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would first of only give him water to drink this way it is less of a mess to clean up make him sit at the table with it and when he can prove to you not to spit then he can have a small amount of jucie tell him it is wrong to spit and big boys don't spit if he continues then I for sure would make him clean it up give him some paper towels and everytime make him clean it up!! I would for sure only give him water and let him know he has to earn juice or milk it will only take maybe a day or two of that and he will be sick of water it won't hurt him !!
    AmieJo853

Answer by AmieJo853 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• all good answers thanks.. i also get tired of changing his wet clothes as well.. motherhood. yikes.. i am glad to find out he is not the only one who does this i have never heard of another child doing it before my own thanks for all the support and great ideas.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 11:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2009