Question for military brats (or the moms of military brats)

im a military brat and was wondering the other day about "home". when im in my current town and someone asks "where are you from?" i never know what to say. i dont want to go into the long list of places i lived or explain why i have no real answer. even tho ive lived in OK for almost 6 years (10 if you count college) its not my home, im not "from" here. DH thinks im just weird but i was wondering if its a normal military brat feeling...home was my family, never a location. it just seems so important to ppl to be "from" somewhere and im not "from" anywhere.

if you're a military brat (or your kids are) how do you answer that question?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 2:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2012 in Military

• Home is where you feel at home. As for a casual chit chat just name the place you were born. That's what I do. It'll be enough information for the other party at that moment. If they think they need to dig further you stop them (if you're uncomfortable with it) or start singing

[Chorus:]
    I've been everywhere, man.
    I've been everywhere, man.
    Crossed the desert's bare, man.
    I've breathed the mountain air, man.
    Of travel I've had my share, man.
    I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
    Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
    Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
    Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
    Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
    Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
    Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.

[Chorus]

I've been to:
    Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana,
    Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarka
    Pucki

Answer by Pucki at 3:15 AM on Jun. 22, 2012

• I would just answer that your father was military (or mother?). Either that, or the place in which you were born.

We've been lucky as a military family (I guess) and have only been stationed at one base. We've been here for almost 10 years, my husband's 11th anniversary is the end of January.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• I just imagined a "I'm from Japan" situation. That is SO funny!
    Pucki

Answer by Pucki at 7:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2012

• Im not a military brat, but I did have divorced parents and was shuffled around alot. I had the same problem when people asked me where I was from. I tell them the city I was born in and where my roots are which is Copperhill, Tennessee/McCaysville, Georgia (border towns). Then I would tell them I have lived in Alabama most of my life and Georgia for a short while and I would end it with "so I'm basically from the southeast" for a laugh.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2012

• I'm not a military brat, but we moved a lot for my dads job and I have the same problem. I usually say Tennessee and Florida, because I was born in FL and all my family from both sides live in those states and I'd say TN was my fab place growing up all my cosins are there.
    TheBookGirl

Answer by TheBookGirl at 9:49 AM on Jun. 22, 2012

• I am a military brat and have lived all over...was born in TN, have lived from one coast to the next and a few places in between. I know exactly how you feel...I usually answer with "my dad was military so I'm from a little of everywhere, spent the most time in Mississippi". It seems to be an acceptable answer for most. My current home is SC, I've been here for 8 years now which is a long stint for me, lol..funny thing is my dad was stationed here when I was a kid and when we left, I was so upset I told my parents I was gonna move back the first chance I got...and I did. My family is still in Mississippi and I'm the only one here but I love it here and hated Mississippi. Even though I spend more time there than anywhere and that is where my family is...SC is my home, where my husband, children and I have made our home.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2012

• I would totally say "I'm from Japan" just to see the looks on people's faces!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• I tell them Im a military brat. Ive been just about everywhere. Then I'll tell them about the coolest place I've been which was Germany.
    Aidensmomma2224

Answer by Aidensmomma2224 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• I am not a military brat but hubby is in the Navy and I don't even know what to tell people when they ask. Ummmm, I am from Florida, he is from Iowa, we met in South Carolina, our children were born in Washington and now we live in New York. New York is our current home but this is not "home".
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2012

• DH and I are both from Tennessee, our oldest was born in South Carolina (but he lived in WA most of his life), and our youngest was born in Washington, and we are currently stationed in GA. But, since we call Tennessee home and that's where we plan to go back to when DH is done with the Navy. So, I think that, even though our kids have never actually lived in TN, that's where "home" will be since that's what we call it.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2012