Where, oh where, oh where, is FEMA?! Where can FEMA be?!

FEMA made it to New Orleans in 4 days, it's taking them at least that long to get to Kentucky after this ice storm. Does that mean Obama hates Kentuckians? Will they get free housing and aid for the next 2 years? Will their $2000 debit cards be coming in the mail soon?

Just wondering! (sarcasm)

***

Local officials were growing angry with what they said was a lack of help from the state and the Federal Emergency Management Agency. In Grayson County, about 80 miles southwest of Louisville, Emergency Management Director Randell Smith said the 25 National Guardsmen who have responded have no chain saws to clear fallen trees.

"We've got people out in some areas we haven't even visited yet," Smith said. "We don't even know that they're alive."

Smith said FEMA has been a no-show so far.

***
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090130/ap_on_re_us/winter_storm_outages

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 12:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You people need to get over Katrina. there have been several disasters since then and these people have picked themselves up and started to get their lives put back together. Katrina was Louisianas failing not FEMAs or Bushes. Mr. Chocolate mayor and Mrs incompetant Governor were to blame for the way Katrina went down. FEMA is just like any other disaster group. No one is happy with what they offer because it is they that are suffering, therefore feel nothing is good enough. There is only so much a program can do(especially a government program) No one talks about IKE or the cities that suffered tornados last year, it's still Katrina , Katrina , Katrina all because they think the blacks were predjudiced against by whites.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• my inlaws are both FEMA employees (in biloxi) and my fil is a DAE- Disaster Assistance Employee- which means he gets "deployed" to disasters around the country, and ya know what, he is like the third person down from the top in Mississippi and they just laid him off. FEMA is laying off like crazy... ya know why? And this is coming from FEMA Administrative, our new president and government is cutting their budget. Thats right, you can thank Mr.Do no wrong.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I've ALWAYS thought that FEMA was a JOKE!!! Just my personal opinion!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Oh, and I get your sarcasm, and Im not sure how bad the damage is where you are, but the reason people got $2000 is because, well, there was nothing left of the gulf coast, I mean, the water came in, took the houses and washed them out to sea, along with most of the local businesses and jobs, not only did people have NOWHERE TO LIVE, but they also had lost their jobs, and there wasnt anywhere to get a new one, so they had to completely relocate.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• and not to start a race war, but the gulf coast received more devastating damage than NO, and it was a week before we saw FEMA, they were too busy stopping crime in NO, my advice to you is to help yourselves, like we did, FEMA got here and well, all they could do at first was handout money, we'd already saved ourselves and started the recovery process.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I had a friend who lost everything in katrina but she told me that people were picking up their cards and not using them for what they were supposed to be used for. She saw them buying Gucci bags and other things and going back to the shelters and just expecting people to bail them out. So please, dont even start. There were plenty and I MEAN PLENTY of people who abused the cards.
    The fact is KY and OH are in a natural disaster and some have no power. There are kids there and they should have fema there already. I remember in NC we had an ice storm and no electric or businesses open or schools for awhile. FEMA never saved our asses. We had to take care of ourselves. I guess Obama hates all americans if hes cutting FEMAS budget or he just doesnt see those in KY as worth his time. They didnt vote for him did they?
    Anonymous

• are the house completely destroyed!!!!. Last time i heard they had shelters and places to go for food and warmth.....
    Anonymous

• HMMM................sound a little socialist to me i though that is going to ruin us.....
    Anonymous

• oh yeah, some people totaaly mis-spent the money. Some didnt even need it. They should've done a better job at screening who got it. They did eventually resort to handing out vouchers for furniture and food, so that solved some of the problem.
    I dont understand why FEMA is so slow sometimes, but in this case, its because they dont have enough employees, because they are laying off, because their budget is smaller.
    It sucks, and my heart goes out to all the families affected and Im praying for you.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• We are from missouri we wasn't crying for FEMA to come along did what we had too to make it through.
    Anonymous