This is a question for the longtime church goers

this may seem like a bad question but i have to ask

the old preacher (she had to move to a different state because of family issues) left and a new preacher came in (he's only afew years older than she was) and started to saying the women's job is in the house, they shouldn't wear pants, and you the point. would you tell your friends that your leaving the church because you don't agree with him or would you just stay and put up with what he says?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm the type of person who would confront him for preaching such doctrins as doing so is fine for me and for what I believe in. It helps that I go to a very opponiated and vocal fellowship. But I'm assuming your attending some kind of Christian denomination so I'd weigh my actions carefully.

Is what he's preached in line with the acceptable doctrin? If not..
    Is your church congerational or an assembly type orginisation.....if congerational speak to the ruling faction in the church, if assembly, speak to the elders of the church to bring forward an appeal or replacement of the minister.

If no satisifcation can be reached, I would leave but if you were me, it would be very vocal in my disagreement.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• Presumably this minister was assigned to you by some higher governing authority? Complain to them first, and see what they say.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• Yeah I'd report them to the next higher up. Or challenge them on the spot. Did you know our last minister was a woman? But that's me. If there's no one to report them to then I'd just leave. Or can't the congregration vote them out? That happened at the last church I attended regularly. We didn't like the new minister so he was voted out.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• assuming everyone else heard the same message, has an uproar not already started? i'd bet it has...unless the other pastor (the female) was only there temporarily, and everyone knew she was temporary. idk..not my church.
    but to answer your question, i would not sit under anyone i scripturally disagreed with, or did not preach what is obvious black/white Biblical scripture, nor would i stay under the leadership of one in need of reconciliation (due to known offense against God/the church/bylaws,etc.).
    it is always your choice to stay or go.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• The phrase "like a bat out of hell" comes to mind.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• You are under o obligation to stay. If you don't agree, then leave.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 3:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• I agree with Np. If those are not doctrines of the church the denomination's governing body may have an issue with it, as well.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• i donot go to churches who look do on women, and tell them more than to follow & be submissive to your husband. but the catch is that those churches also say the man is the SPIRITUAL head of the house hold and respectful, not the all powerful overbearing master. he is to lead by example & mama is to support him. if they disagree, it is to be brought up behind closed doors between them only.
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 4:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• Sounds like one messed up church. First to have a woman preacher and then to have the next come in and laying down the law regarding women. Personally I'd leave and find another church.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2012

• I'd just leave.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2012