when should a sister and brother have their own rooms?

i have a 3 year old son and a 7 month old daughter. right now, we're living in a 2 bedroom apartment. when is the appropriate time to have them in seperate bedrooms?

candasmomi

Asked by candasmomi at 12:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would have had my kids in seperate rooms when they started school because they sleep better in their own rooms. But... I had 2 bedroom apts/houses until this year. They are 8 and 9 and finally have seperate rooms. And you know what? My sons begs to sleep on his sisters floor. They fight like crazy until bedtime, then they are best friends.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 12:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I say before  puberty. Or around 10. If they are of the opposite sex. But if they are the same sex they can stay in the same room tell they leave home. IMO

Answer by louise2 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Well if you don't have the space then I guess they share. I don't think there is a set time. I'm sure they will let you know when they don't want to share any more. It became an issue with me and my brother when I was 7 and he was 5 because he wanted to sleep with the lights on and I needed it completely dark. We were in a 2 bedroom apt but we had a little alcove off the living room that my parents converted into a bedroom for him. It was big enough for a twin bed with 2 feet of space to walk next to it. He had that room until we moved 5 years later.
    My son is 7 and shares a room with his sisters (8 and 6) because he likes to be near them. Half the time I find him on the floor between their beds (his bed is on the other side of the room so he has his own space). They are very close. He even sleeps a certain way so he can see them at night, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2009