how do you cook a PotRoast w/ out a slow cooker/crock pot

i want to make a big pot roast dinner, but im not sure how to cook it, EVER recipe i have found said to put it in your slow cooker.. i do not have one.. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can cook it like you would a turkey. Put it on a pan in the oven. On around 300F Put tin foil over it. It will take a couple of ours to cook. They sell cooking bags in the store that you can put a roast in too. GL

Answer by louise2 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• you can cook it on your stovetop on low, depending on your range, or you can do it in a low oven. i generally use my oven.
    take a can of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of dry mushroom and onion soup, mix it up with about a half can of water and put over the roast. cook in the oven at about 300-350. the amount of time will depend on the size of the roast, but 4-5 hours will do in most cases. jsut use your meat thermomter to make sure it's done.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I posted on your other question, with the kind of meat and all. Like I said, in the oven or on the stove top work just as well...the key is keeping the heat low. Around 300*f or even 270*f in the oven or on low on the stove. You don't need a meat thermometer...but the time it is tender it is well past the stage of being any danger. All you need to know when it is done is how tender it is when you pok e a fork into it. If it is a chuck roast, you should be able to pull a piece off easily. Cooking bags are not a bad idea also, but I find the gravy is more flavorful without one. And I am a gravy girl!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• you can cook it in a rice cooker
    Stuff roast as usual, season outside roast & rub w/ kitchen bouquet all over roast.
    Put in rice pot w/ chopped onions add water about 1" above roast, press start button when it dings
    turn roast over you can then add potatoes and or carrot or both, add 1" water above roast again
    press start, when it dings again you have a very tender roast with a wonderful gravy.
    Please let me know what you think about this once you have tried it.
    Gran1954

Answer by Gran1954 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009