Can you dye your hair when you are pragnant?

I usually dye my hair bout twice a month and if I am pregnant would is be ok to dye my hair?

NikkiDRice24

Asked by NikkiDRice24 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• there's alot of controversy over this..they're not sure if the chemicals on your scalp actually get into your system and go to baby..they say the best way to go while pregnant is highlighting becuase no dye actually touches your scalp..and for the ones who say its ok, also remember, your hormones are completely out of whack and your dye job might come out completely different than any other time and have a bad reaction..or you could be completely fine..they definately say don't perm your hair for that reason alone.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• ask a dr or a professional
    tnteaton

• Dye like the exensive dying at a hair salon.. I wouldn't do. Coloring maybe... but I use henna based dyes so they are safer.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• No.  I wouldn't.  I recommend buying What to Expect When You're Expecting. It outlines this. The chemicals are absorbed into the bloodstream, however, it is unknown what effect they take on the fetus. "Unknown" doesn't mean it is "OK." If I there is little research on something to tell me what could happen to my child when I dye my hair, I'm not going to do it.  I would imagine that anything chemical or synthetic is not desirable or healthy.  As someone else said, your body chemistry is different when you are pregnant.  Dying your hair during pregnancy could produce a result you didn't expect.  Many people still do it.  Someone telling you "I died my hair when I was pregnant and my kids are OK" is not a reason to do it either.  Perhaps they were lucky?  What ended up "OK" for someone else doesn't mean it is safe for your child.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My friend used a more safe,organice based hair dye since she had naturally dark hair that was dyed blonde she felt some upkeep was needed.
    She had a healthy baby so i would say,yes.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I did when I was pregnant with my dd and it was fne im doing it with this baby also. I would say yes you are in the clear
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• ive died my hair like 3 times... its fine just make sure you are in a room that is well venilated.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2009