If you had the chance to do one thing over again with your kids, what would it be?

I thought it might be helpful for moms to hear from each other the things they wish they could do over again. Maybe we will learn something from each other?

My kids are now young adults. I am happy with the amount of time I gave them when they were young, most of my choices I made and how I raised them. But if there was anything I could do over again, I would have to say that I would have appreciated them for who they are....and not try to make them into something I wanted them to be.
momjs www.cjkidz.com

momjs

Asked by momjs at 1:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think I would have forced myself into breastfeeding longer.
    I think I would have also had more fun with being a new mom..
    I would have spent more time loving my child than fighting with his dad over him not helping.
    My son Is smart very smart for his age I just wished I would have had him around more children when he was younger. hes almost 3 now and I am not to sure on how he is with other little ones.
    Anonymous

• Well, my 17 yr old dd was killed in a car crash and I now say that I wish I would have been able to spend more time with her. I was a single mom at the time and worked my butt off. Also, more discipline.  I would have been a better disciplinary figure instead of a friend. I felt bad that I was single and that I had to work.  I am lucky though, I have 3 young babies that I got to stay home with now and spend all the time I can with. I get to change things I did "wrong" before.  I just wish my oldest could be here to see them grow!

LR4VR

Answer by LR4VR at 1:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My kids range in age from 4 to almost 20. I wouldnt change anything. I did my best with the information I had and my older kids are good people. The only thing I might have changed is trying to find a way to encourage my ex to spend time with them. They didnt have him around and still dont, mostly by his choice. I know I cant change people but sometimes I wonder if Icould have done MORE to make him want to be in their lives. But theyre good people despite him so I dont know.

Answer by gemgem at 1:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I only have one so there are actually a few things I wish I could "do over" one would be not to be in such a hurry for him to learn to go to sleep on his own, looking back I see how short of a period it really was that I rocked and snuggled him to sleep, and truly doubt that if I had done it his whole first year or 18 months it would have been bad. Another thing is that I am terrible at being consistent and that one bites me in the a$$ almost daily! Even though I am better about it now, he is 15 and still tries to wear me down into giving in.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I'd have waited a bit longer to introduce solids to my daughter. And I'd have kept her RF a bit longer too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• This was totally out of my control, but I would have preferred to have a vaginal birth! The c-section was rough and took away from the "moment."
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would have had a home birth. The hospital ruined what should have been a wonderful experience.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would have been more assertive when I had my first. At the time they allowed smoking in the hospital, and the moms were two to a room. So I requested non-smoking. Not only did my roomie chain smoke, but she also had a healthy baby that was brought in at regular times, and my baby was premature and sick so I didn't get to hold him while I was in the hospital. So I lay there and coughed from the smoke and listened to her enjoying her baby. I felt it was inappropriate to put a mom with a sick baby in with a mom with a well baby. I should have insisted that I be moved.

Answer by Bmat at 5:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would have read to her more....and given her the darn "jeddy" on the toast.....it wouldn't have killed her.
    Anonymous

• I would have not worried so much about the things that didnt matter, like climbing on the counter. I think I would let them just be kids and only worry about the things that really do matter, like running into the street. My kids are still young and I still have time to change. I do worry too much about the little things and dont just enjoy who they are. The day will come that I really miss these times and want them back. So I guess I am trying to say I need to live in the moment more.
    mombutterfly86

Answer by mombutterfly86 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2009