Ugh Name change question.

When my husband and I got married last year I sent the forms for my name change in to the IRS. I never heard back so i figured all was well. I was wrong, they said that I was missing forms. Now I have already changed my W2 and my license to match my married name and they are asking for documentation. Will my old social security card work? I do not have an original birth cert. but I do have my socail as well as my sons birth cert. Thank you in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• I never had to send anything to the irs. I just did the norm with my work, BMV, ss and bills. Get a copy of your BC.
    Anonymous

• sorry I meant social secuirty place, not irs.
    Anonymous

• My husband had the same problem when he changed his name. He called the IRS & talked to them, he had to fax a copy of his drivers liscense & soc. card to them (new name)& a copy of a letter from the soc. department saying that he had changed his name legally.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I had to show a notarized birth certificate, driver's license, and marriage license to get a new social security card last year. It wasn't that hard, but it took 4 hours at the office because I had to do it in person.
    sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 5:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2009