Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh Name change question.

When my husband and I got married last year I sent the forms for my name change in to the IRS. I never heard back so i figured all was well. I was wrong, they said that I was missing forms. Now I have already changed my W2 and my license to match my married name and they are asking for documentation. Will my old social security card work? I do not have an original birth cert. but I do have my socail as well as my sons birth cert. Thank you in advance.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • I never had to send anything to the irs. I just did the norm with my work, BMV, ss and bills. Get a copy of your BC.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • sorry I meant social secuirty place, not irs.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • My husband had the same problem when he changed his name. He called the IRS & talked to them, he had to fax a copy of his drivers liscense & soc. card to them (new name)& a copy of a letter from the soc. department saying that he had changed his name legally.

    Answer by nysa00 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • I had to show a notarized birth certificate, driver's license, and marriage license to get a new social security card last year. It wasn't that hard, but it took 4 hours at the office because I had to do it in person.

    Answer by sillymoo at 5:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.