My 2 year old destroys my house in the morning before I wake up!!!

She wakes up a little earlier then me and she goes around the house and destroys it. She has dumped out the babies formula on many occasion. Cereal, bath products, anything she can get her hands on is on the floor. She gets into trouble every time but I don't know how to get her to stop.

Saria87

Asked by Saria87 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I recommend setting your alarm for 30 min before she normally wakes up. She could really hurt herself being unattended. You will also save yourself a lot of headache.

Also, there are tons of saftey things you can buy for your house. They even sell little "safes" for bath products. However, it seems the most cost effective solution is to be up when she is up.
    Vespa

Answer by Vespa at 2:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• wake up before she does then you can stop her from destroying the house or you can put stuff out of her reach or you can by a baby gate for her room to keep her from going out before you wake up that way you wont have to close her door
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My daughter did this and I put a gate across her door so she could not get out. I also still have a baby monitor in her room so I could hear when she got up. When she got up and could not get out of her room she would play safely in her room--I would hear her playing and get up to get her.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Get a gate and an alarm. Set the alarm for about an hour before she wakes up, go to bed earlier so you can make up the sleep and put a gate on her bedroom door so she cant get out in case the alarm fails.

Answer by gemgem at 2:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• lock her door...either put a lock that goes over the door knob, or take the knob and switch it around so the lock is on the outside. you're in control of the lock
    Anonymous

• I would try a gate or door lock & definitely put things up so she can't reach them. If she is able to access stools or chairs put them in a locked closet (door locks again). If you don't want to get up before her maybe leave her a project & before breakfast snack. And as far as getting her to stop, have her help you clean up the mess & talk to her about it.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 2:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• yea, don't lock her in her room that's awful.. (in my opinion, I couldn't have the door closed and locked with her in their, it feels wrong to me)

Get a baby gate. You can put it in the door frame, or the hallway, etc. :) Also use the baby monitor so you can wake up when she gets up.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• The gate it probably the way we are going to go. We have made her clean it up before, I always try to explain why she is in trouble, I keep everything that I can out of her reach, I think the gate is going to be the way to go though thanks
    Saria87

Answer by Saria87 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• locking the door could be dangerous if there is a fire. I don't recommend that.
    Vespa

Answer by Vespa at 2:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Teach her to come in your room when she wakes up. Then that way you get up, If you have TV in your room let her watch some tv with a small snack. Part of being a mom is that you might have to give up some sleep time.
    Anonymous