Am i making a big deal out of this?

i sometimes watch a 14yo. she's the same size as our oldest but she wants to wear the younger girls' clothes. my youngest is in size 6t and i'm getting mad because that's the clothes she wants to wear! hubby says i'm over reacting, do you think so?

her real sizes are 14 to 16 pants
large shirts
and 4 shoes in women.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I am with MOM on this , there is NO way that a child that size can fit a 6t, if for no other reason she is going to tear or stretch them
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• not really, she does not need to be wearing smaller clothes, much less your smaller kids' clothes. does she not come dressed?
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2012

• That's pretty weird, really. I don't know what else to say. It makes me think there's something wrong beyond that, but I don't want to make any snap judgements based on two sentences on the internet.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2012

• so those clothes shouldn't/ don't fit her right?
    *confused
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2012

• I had a hard time following your post. There could be any number of reasons, she could be abused in some way and wants to stay little because it happened less when she was that size, it could be an emotional issue of another type. I'd mention it to her mother in a gracious and sensitive way.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2012

• Have you asked her WHY she wants to wear those clothes?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2012

• Is she developmentally disabled in some way?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2012

• How can a size 14/16 fit into a 6T?! Doesn't seem possible. Is she just doing it for fun, like playing dress up or does she like the style of younger kids' clothes better than what they make for bigger kids?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• I woudlfind out why she wants to and just tell her NO
    luvmygrandbaby

• Is it that she is after something tight or skimpy? And she gets precisely that when she squeezes into too-small clothing? (The effect of short t-shirts or belly shirts, etc.)
    That could be what bugs you about it.

If you're worried about things being stretched or torn, you could simply say you're not okay with it & you're insisting she leave their stuff alone. You don't have to make it make sense, or make a case for your limit, by pointing out how she "shouldn't" be doing it. If you're not willing to tolerate it, you're not willing.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2012