What would you do if you 12 yo did this?

What would you do if you and your 12 year old son got into a disagreement and he called you a bitch. He has never called me a foul name before.

We got into a argument about him cleaning his room and it escalated to him calling me this.

What would the consequence be at your home? How would you punish your child?

MommyTatum

Asked by MommyTatum at 2:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I read a good response to this, a woammn siad her daughter did this, she sent her to ther room, When the girl cooled off, she took a piece of paper and while repeating the mean things the girl had said, ripped the paper in half, for each thing said/done. Then she had her daughter tape it back together, and told her she could take back each thing by saying sorry, represented by taping back the shreds of paper. When she was done, she explained how you can take back your words, but the damage is already done, the piece of paper will never be quite the smae again. Then told her to think about the things she saud before she said them ,as they ARE damaging and can't be taken back compeltely.
    MusikMama

Answer by MusikMama at 3:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I punish my kids the same way for every infraction. Take things away, make him earn them back, make him apologize and mean it and dont let him have anything until he does and you know he meannnnnnns it. Consistency is always the best.

Answer by gemgem at 2:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• 1)First Off all he's lucky you didn't smack his mouth.
    2)Second you need to make him say he's sorry and let him know you won't stand for that kind of talk anymore.
    3)Tell him if he doesn't clean his room by a certain time frame then your going to go in their and cleaned it for him.
    4)Let him know this your house your rules.
    Anonymous

• well, id probably do the same that my parents did to me..beat that childs ass and brush their teeth with soap! and ground me
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• If he'd have done it straight to my face he'd have gotten slapped, for the direct assualt, if he'd have done it turning away from me I'd have grabbed his arm and scolded him for the indirect offense, if he'd have done it after the heat of the argument and while he was pouting about cleaning his room, I would've let things cool down a bit and when he came back around I'd make sure he cleaned his room like he was asked to do and then I would explain to him that you heard him call you that and the next time he uses that language directed at you he'll find himself staying in his room for the rest of the day, chances are he'll apologize if he doesn't encourage it then hug him and tell him you love him and you aren't making him clean his room to make him miserable.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2009