HOW many of you waited to find out the gender?

I am seriously thinking about just waiting until delivery to find out the gender. The only people that will know is my mother in law, and a close friend. My Dh isnt happy about my decision because he wants to know as well, but I want him to wait with me, lol. SO, what were your experiences on waiting? Did you have any anxiety about not knowing, even if its by choice?

BY the way, I am 12 weeks. :) LOL

loveandrain94

Asked by loveandrain94 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2012 in Pregnancy

• When our children were born, we had no choice. I personally loved the not knowing until the doctor made the announcement as soon as he knew the gender. Our youngest is now 34.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• why would you let others know the sex if you do not know yourself? i could not do that. we waited with 2, found out with 3, but 1 that we found out with turned out to be wrong.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• I wanted to know both times... i like to be prepared and if i have the ability to find out then i take it.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• I waited with both of mine it makes all the pain and agony worth it for the surprise at the end and hearing the nurses Say It's A ........... G/L and Congratulations.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• With my son it was a little complicated. I KNEW years before I got pregnant that my first born would be a boy. My then boyfriend (now husband) and I had only been dating for about 3 months when I got pregnant. Because I didn't know his very well, and because I'm a PITA that way I refused to find out until he was born. It annoyed my husband and his family to no end to not know.

With my daughter we found out at 20 weeks. I still thought the tech was wrong, even though she showed me a picture of the girl parts on the ultrasound. Those pictures look like visual gibberish to me. I've never seen myself raising a girl. Girl as defined as pink frilly everything that hates even the thought of dirt and outside sports are anathema.

Yeah, I'm a tomboy. So is my daughter. She's more into sports than her older brother.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• I waited with my first, I found out for my other 4. With my first I waited because my ex wanted to wait. I wish I had found out, would have made buying clothes, blankets, etc so much easier.

Answer by missanc at 2:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• Do you mean even if you find out you'll only tell your MIL & a close friend? You wouldn't tell everybody once you knew for sure?
    I know people who have done that (found out and told nobody.)

We decided not to find out with our first. It was worth waiting, for sure.
    We were all set to keep it a surprise with our second pregnancy, but it turned out to be twins. A perinatologist told us he was almost certain they were identical twins (it was early enough to see that it was almost definitely a single placenta and a single layer of membranes between the babies, rather than two placentas that had fused, and only identical twins can share a single placenta, though it's quite common for two placentas to fuse together & it's harder to tell further along) so we knew we were likely to get two boys or two girls.
    Somehow, it made it all a lot easier to "take" if we found out ahead, once we had the opportunity (further along), so we did.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• Not me! I wanted to know as soon as possible. I like to plan & I don't like surprises.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• I couldn't. I had my son at a Catholic hospital and it was against they're policy to reveal gender for any child.
    They closed the maternity ward there 2 years later, and were subsequently bought out by a neighboring hospital!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• My first, I didn't even have an ultrasound with, so there was no telling what baby was until birth.

Second, third, and forth were all too shy to show their genders, so no finding out there either *hmphf*

So yeah, had no choice myself, and I wasn't happy about it either, LOL.

So, baby #5, we're HOPING that this baby isn't modest like brother and sisters were. But honestly, if you could wait till baby was born to find out the gender, then I guess everyone else can wait too. It is nice knowing ahead of time what you are having that way you can have a definite name, pick out some clothing, etc.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2012