Fear of flying

I have a fear of flying. Even thinking about it my heart is racing. My mom is going through open heart surgeryagian because the pacemaker didn't work. She is in tx and I'm in ca. I can't drive because I get sick even when I drive. I want to be with her, but since no one is driving there I can't. Hubby is military and doesn't have the time to take off so anyone out there conquer their fear of flying? It's not a long flight like 3 hours but I'm sure people on he plane don't want a hysterical woman convinced she's going to die.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2012 in Travel

• Truthfully I think it safer to fly then to drive. I fly all the time. Since January I flew 30,000 miles. My daughter was always afraid to fly. She got over her fear when she wanted to take my grandson to Disney. She flies all over now.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• i had a horrible fear of flying too, the 1st time i was ever on a plane is was 23 lol i went from birmingham to atlanta (30 minute flight lol) and that one helped me get over my fear, thankfully i was sitting beside a really nice guy that talked me through it, and gave me gum (i chewed the hell out of it lol) but then from atlanta i flew to san juan, puerto rico (alone to meet my dh there) and it was a loooooooooooooong flight. needless to say, by the time i landed i was over my fear :) GL oh and the sky is beautiful when you're flying in the clouds
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2012

• I have flown before, the first time in 8th grade. Never been through a horrific experience and thought turbulence was cool. But after years of flying I know get panic attacks, shaky sweaty and feel like I wanna pass out/vomit it I even go near an airport.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• Go to your doctor, explain the situation and ask for tranquilisers to get you through the flight.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• I luv to fly...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• Im scared of flying too but found out if you sit next to the window its a lot less scary. Prayers to your mom.
    Aidensmomma2224

Answer by Aidensmomma2224 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Don't focus on the fear. Focus on the fact that you want to get to your mom. Perhaps if you have someone who can travel with you, that doesn't have your same fear, it might be easier for you. Think about how great it will be to start accumulating frequent flyer miles. I went from not flying to flying commercial and private jets, I had to fly for work, all over the US 50 weeks out of the year, I had so many frequent flyer miles I used to donate them to Make-A-Wish Foundation. Which was much bigger than my fears, knowing somewhere I was going to be able to contribute to a child's wish that involved them traveling. I say my prayer before we leave the gate and worked my way up to being able to read and even take a nap on a plane. If you really think you can't push the fear aside, then see what the train schedule is like. Go online, Amtrak, enter your information departing from and arriving to. Best wishes :)
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 2:39 AM on Aug. 12, 2012