how much should my 22mon toddler be saying

My son use to say quite a few words, (or at least try) like mom, da-da, doggy etc. But now he just makes a bunch of noises. When he wants something, he points at it and grunts. I try to tell him the words and sound them out for him but it seems like he's paying no attention. Now he knows what the words mean like if I say go give this to daddy, he'll do it but when I ask him to say da-da he wont. Should I be concerned.

Ezrasmommy

Asked by Ezrasmommy at 2:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Typically by a child's second birthday they should have at least 50 words. You could try to do some simple signs with him. Like more, all done and eat. Always pair the sign with the word. Use short simple phrases when talking with him. If you are really concerned then you could have your local Birth to Three agency do a speech/language evaluation on him. They can give you great ideas on boosting his vocabulary.
    nanjo33

Answer by nanjo33 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Play games with your child that motivate him to say words. Ask him questions that don't have a yes or no answer i.e. " do you want your blue toy or your red toy? " "Do you want mommy to tickle you or bounce you? Repeat the question several times, and only do the event or give him the item when he makes an effort to say the word. He'll catch on that saying the word gives him what he wants. Don't give him something just because he is reaching out for it or whining for it. Throughout the day, ask him every time to say the item, and then reward him by giving him the item and making some hooplah about him saying the word. Before you know it, you won't be able to make him stop talking! Always have doc check his hearing. If a child cannot hear well, he cannot hear the proper words to learn and speak well. Good luck, and have fun with him!!!!
    bowdentribe

Answer by bowdentribe at 6:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My son just turned two in december. He says alot. But he talks when he wants to. Sometimes he says things i ask him to, and others times he just ignores me. Every child is different.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• alll kids are diff....
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 2:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My son is 23 months and I'm sure he says more than 50 words, maybe closer to 100 and some 2-3 word sentences. HOw often do you talk to him? I have conversations with my son all the time. I ask him to say them, tell him what things are and he picks it up. I noticed that he doesn't speak as much if I don't prompt him to speak. And if that doesn't help, call a speech evaluater. Your local school district should be able to point you in the right direction.

Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2009