What kind of paint do you use to paint a design on a wall?

I want to design my kids' bedroom walls, and I know to paint them with regular indoor paint for the wall color itself, but what do I use to paint, say a huge butterfly or an animal, etc? Can I just use acrylic paint? Or do I have to buy a bunch of different colors in regular paint? Also, I really would like to use the no-voc or low voc paint, so less fumes and toxicity. Thanks!!

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I use stencil gels by Plaid. You can buy them in craft stores like Michael's--or wherever you can buy pre-cut stencil sheets. Stencil paints come in a variety of mediums. I like the liquid gels because you can really control the depth of color and blend/shade more easily that the solid cakes/pots. Using small spouncer foam brushes makes stenciling and clean up easy!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I agree except for the sponge brushes. I like the Plaid Stencil Brush. It's a little expensive but it does a much nicer job. I find that the sponge brush allows the paint to seep under the stencil.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Thanks ladies!! I'll check it out! :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2009