Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know anything about a father givingup parental rights?

I live in PA, i got pregnant young and the father wanted nothing to do. He never asked to sign any papers for the birth cert not even to hold my baby. So my husband now (boyfriend at the time) signed the papers and we live happily he keeps threating me with im going to get a DNA test ordered and stuff....can he come after me to be put on the cert or anything...also i never asked him for anything excpet to leave me alone

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • i think you should call an attorney and ask them. it wouldnt hurt anyway.

    Answer by SThompson21 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • By law, he can ! The same way you can get him for child support.

    Your bf should be able to adopt your child since you agree and the father gave up or never asked for parental right. DO it first before he gets to you.

    Answer by yoshiki56 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • if the child is 9 months old he has no rights!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • I don't see where the child is 9 months. And unless the father has signed that he is terminating his rights- he DOES have rights. All he has to do is get a DNA test and prove that. He will have to pay child support but he can get visitation.

    Answer by ZaTa at 3:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • i would ask a lawyer :]

    Answer by aliciatron at 3:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • Tell him if he wants parental rights he has to pay child support. If he pays then great, if he doesn't then he has no parental rights also another GREAT.

    Answer by pnwmom at 4:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • You should have gotten something in writting from him in the begining. He can make waves but he should be prepared to pay child support if he does. Get a lawyer now.

    Answer by salexander at 5:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • He still has rights,he could say you never told him,deceived him and a test could solve that and he could go after you for custody,visitations or his parents the baby grandparents could try to get grandparents rights.
    Hire an attorney to get this settled in family court.
    I work in the courts in family law.
    each state is different but it all has one guideline,you need to follow the law.
    So bottom line hire an attorney to protect the best interests of all parites,sooner the better.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

  • "Not to mention he could get the baby(custody) for your lies and you end up paying the child support,so get help now to show your doing what is best for the baby and not for you."

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.