How do you cook a pot roast w/out a slow cooker or crock pot?& what kinda meat do i use?

i really wanna cook a pot roast, but every recipe i found has it cookedi n a slow cooker, how else would you cook a pot roast, and what kinda meat would i use?

katieisamom

Asked by katieisamom at 3:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can do it either in a low oven, or on the stove top if you have a pan big enough. In the summer, I do it on the stove, so I don't have to turn on the oven. I have a 14" fried chicken pan that works great.

To do it in the oven, you can brown it first on the stove, but you don't have to. I like to because it adds a lot of flavor, and I would do it if I was using a slow cooker too. If you have a dutch oven, you can brown it in that and put it directly in the oven. Otherwise, use a pan that is oven safe with either a metal lid or a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. You can add onion soup mix if you like (lots of people do), but I like to add s&b, celery salt, and thinly sliced onions. Sometimes carrots and potatoes, too. After browning, add a bit of water or beef stock (a cup or so), cover tightly, and put in at 300*f until meat is fork tender (4 hrs or more). Chuck has the most flavor, but you can use round or rump too.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• google how to cook a pot roast in the oven. you'll need a dutch oven (basically a large pot with a lid that is oven safe)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Check the level of the liquid occasionally, adding more as needed. Also, add 1/2 cup of strong coffee in the beginning if you're making gravy..it adds a lot to the gravy's flavor and color. You can also roast other cuts, but those need actual (dry) roasting, and are not the same as pot roast. those are cuts like eye of round, rib roasts, etc. Pot roasts are great because you can use the cheapest cuts and still come out with a delicious, tender meat. The best roasts to get are the 7 bone roasts, with the bone in...but they're hard to find. Any bone-in chuck roast would be better, boneless chuck coming in next. If you want thin sliced meat, top round would work. It just doesn't have as much flavor as the chuck because it's so lean. To make gravy, deglaze the pan with a little extra broth, and thicken with a flour-water slurry. Taste for seasoning after it thickens. Enjoy! :)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Oh, I also wanted to say my timeline is for a larger roast, since that is what I'm used to...but it may be done in 3 hours if small. :)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Usually the roasts are labeled. You should be able to find one labeled pot roast. If not just ask the butcher...they're happy to help. I always cook mine in a cooking bag. I think it's put out by mccormick and it comes with the spices. It comes in a big envelope usually in the spice isle. I think you just add water. I like to add carrots and potatos right in the bag. Comes out great every time!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 5:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2009