Is there anything wrong with naturally inducing labor? Is it safe?

I would rather naturally induce myself than be induced in the hospital. I was thinking about trying some of the nautral inducing methods. Is there anything wrong with this? Are there any dangers?

I know for nipple stimulation your supposed to be supervised but I'm talking about the other methods like certain teas and stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You don't have to get induced at the hospital you can wait until the baby is ready.
    Anonymous

• i asked my doctor the same exact thing. and he said No because using things like tea, sex, walking etc these things will ONLY work, IF YOUR CERVIX is ready for labor. If your cervix isnt ready for labor, then it wont do anything.

If if it ready for labor and you use these things though you should use them under supervision. My dr said if i plan on having a lot of sex, walking, and etc etc that i should keep close contact with him.

i hope that made sense.

oh but he said he doesnt think anyone should use the unnatural inductions....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Well if you are considering using Red Raspberry Leaf tea, don't. It wont induce you lol, it just strengthens and tones uterine and pelvic muscles.

There is no harm in Sex, Walking, eating Spicy Foods, or pineapples because none of them will work unless your body is ready. Hell, some of them don't even work. The things to avoid are membrane stripping, castor oil, cervadil/cytotec, pitocin, etc,

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Why do you think they are going to induce you at the hospital? If you think it is normal to be induced your wrong, most women go in on their own and labor w/o "inducing meds." But, like the PPs natural methods won't work unless your cervix is ready.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• the risk with ANY induction natural or chemical is that the BABY may not be ready to be born. Being 37-40 weeks, while term, is not an adequate reason to medically induce labor. Full term is actually 37-42 weeks. If you don't want to be induce, DON'T BE INDUCED! You can LEGALLY deny any medical procedure you do not want.

There ARE RISKS with several forms of natural inductions that should be monitored by midwives (herbs); also there are several that while effective, have a risk to baby and mother. Anytime you mess with a natural process you increase risk.

And as all the PP's have stated, NO INDUCTION METHOD WILL WORK IF YOUR BODY& BABY AREN'T READY

(BTW, nipple stimulations DOES NOT require supervision unless you are completely dilated and trying to induce the urge to push)

that said:
    http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/natural-ways-to-induce-labor.html
    http://www.bestdoulas.com/induction.pdf

~a doula
    Anonymous