S/O of Magic Mike: " if the MPAA were to rate the Bible, it would get a NC-17 rating because of explicit violence and sexual content"

This popped up on my newsfeed this morning, and thought it was appropriate after that question. In response to the question "Is it wrong to enjoy violent movies, books and video games?" One pastor replied with this:

The Rev. Matt Cox, pastor, EastLake Community Church, 2734 La. (South Junior High):

I am an avid gamer and love a good movie. Unfortunately it’s common for Christians to get dogmatic about entertainment, making broad brushstrokes about what types of movies you can or can’t watch. Two issues: One, the Bible is silent on what types of entertainment are “OK”; two, genres of entertainment are mostly value neutral.

It’s not enough to ask about “violent movies” or comedies or whether a movie is rated PG or R. In fact, if the MPAA were to rate the Bible, it would get a NC-17 rating because of explicit violence and sexual content.

While the Bible never speaks to any genre guidelines, there are two things we should consider when approaching entertainment: One, God wants us to rest and relax; and two, what is the condition of your heart when experiencing entertainment?

God wants you to have fun in life. He designed us to enjoy community and the creations we make — fictional stories to modern art to great food. Do you enjoy a good story as a way to experience another’s creation or are you using it as an escape from your dissatisfaction? Are those movies in your Netflix queue because you’re legitimately interested in the concept or because you knew there were sex scenes that you could remember later as an escape from your spouse?

You know the why of what entertainment you choose. Be honest when you choose.

But here’s a tough reality that we need to get: Entertainment usually does a much better job asking honest questions about life than almost any “movies” found in the “Christian genre.”

If we need a Christian bookstore’s endorsement to feel spiritual about what we watch, we’ll grow more out of sync with a hurting world asking R-rated questions we’re too absorbed to come out of our PG bubble for.

Is he right?  Does this obsession with what is "proper" cause people to lose perspective of what's really going on in the world around them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Is he right? Does this obsession with what is "proper" cause people to lose perspective of what's really going on in the world around them?

Yes, I believe that far too many people are concerned with trying to regulate or ban what they consider to be right or wrong.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• I'm guessing that if some had their way, LIFE would get an NC-17.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• If the Bible were rated NC 17  I'd still read it.

I'm christian and my DH and I make the decision for our selves and our family what comes into our home. However I like having information to help make these decisions.  If I don't know enough about a book or a movie I might check out  several family websites to see what they say. .  Some of these sites might be christian run.  I may or may not go along with their recommendation depending on the situation.

oneforthemoney

Answer by oneforthemoney at 1:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• I think it's fine for people who are raised to know the difference between right and wrong period.... However, all too often these days, people are not raised knowing the difference, which precipitates their lack of knowledge in all other areas as well. When I was little, I knew the difference between reality and non.... these days, it's pretty blurred for lots.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• Yes it does. When you seclude yourself you in a sense loose touch with reality. Even if you do not agree with it, it's what it is. Sure you can ignore it but is that the healthiest? I'm not sure we learn form what's around us. And can learn to control our selves Look at the dugguards when a women is dressed provocative the sisters say nikey I believe and they walk with their heads down until its safe. Women dress provocative why not try to help your child understand and control their emotions when seeing someone dressed like that. I would die if I had to say nikey so my dh wouldn't be starting at acting like a horny fool.
    People can not blame movies, video games, a strip joint a block away for their lack of self control.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 2:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• No doubt it would be an "Adult Book" as would any other form of mythology. Myths were, and are, full of adult topics - sex, violence, even drug use... That said, I've never been one for ratings.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• I like it. In fact, I believe that was a large part of what Jesus was trying to say. We focus so much on these rules, turning things that wouldn't matter into reasons to treat others as less than, and we get so caught up on looking at it as a rules thing instead of an intent/heart thing.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• Ths is a good question. I have known quite a few people who refuse to watch things or read books that they think is "bad". They think they will be permanently perverted by them. LOL,. Its a result of FEAR. And lack of trust in themselves .
    So---why do they read the Bible? Its not exactly wholesome reading material.In my opinion.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• Some people are too concerned with what others think is right.  Some people are just curious about what other think or just want input from others.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

• I think its much, much easier to stay within that pg bubble, and look down on others than it is to step out and experience first hand to gain a better perspective and understanding.
    Fear definately leads a lot of that way of thinking.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2012