My hubby already called twice to the compass bank and he went in person too and took all the paperwork that shows proove his mom stoled his identity and got 13 loans behind his back worth 76,000, why are we still getting billed over here?

we even filed a police report and took copies of it and everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i'd say just keep up on it... keep everything and go all the time.... things like this take time...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• go back to the bank and see what is going on!!
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 3:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would really suggest a lawyer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• we dont have money for a lawyer and I indeed asked one and he even told me himself that we do have a case but why bother if obviously the mom doesnt have money and if we sue her we wont get anything out of it.
    Anonymous

• she will get jail time. that is fraud. ask around for a free lawyer.
    Anonymous

• That doesn't sound right - the reason is to keep them from coming after you. A judgment is renewable indefinitely. If any of those places she borrowed from manages to sue you, they can renew the suit every 10 years until you die or the debt is paid, and they can charge interest on top of what's already owed. Suing your MIL is the last thing you need to worry about - you need help cutting off all her credit lines in your name and making sure they are all notified and acknowledging that you are not legally responsible for the debt. People lie about it all the time, they even go to court and try to insist their own signature is a forgery - that is the perspective those lenders have until you prove otherwise.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• email me, girl, we're in the SAME BOAT with DH's mom!!!!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• We have been paying on a truck that doesn't belong to us, there is over 18k in student loans from Bank of America that MIL drew out because she was primary on his student acct from when he was 15 and he never knew about, 11k in medical bills backed up from 2003 that she never pd, 2 credit cards she's maxed out in his name, also from Bank of America, she had put utility bills in his name and never pd, etc... call EVERYONE on the credit report and issue the dispute, (freecreditreport.com provides numbers and addresses to the companies) but until it is settled in court that you are not responsible, it will remain on DH's report. You will have to sue mom, but make sure that before you stress with that, you close those accounts and have your DH file for a new social security number to assure that she has no access to his information or credit. it is a shameful thing, but i'm relieved to know i'm not alone! i sure hope i can help!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• not only will the closed accounts and new social security number help your future, the judge is more likely to lean to your side considering the steps you have taken to correct the problem. All in all, we're looking at about 35k debt his mother dumped on us, and we were just married in October, went to apply to RENT a house, and were declined because of his credit report. curious, we looked at it, and sure enough! We even found the 2 credit cards in the console in her BMW!!! the woman owns 2 designer mattress companies, but still has to borrow and STEAL money from her own children! this will definitely need settling in a court.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• How the heck did she get loans in his name? I'm married and the finance company won't even talk to me about my DH's car loan since my name isn't on it. I don't know why or how any reputable company would give his mom a loan in his name. That's strange.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2009