Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Bumps

Do you do anything other people think is crazy/extreme to save money?

Yesterday morning, when I felt like I was getting sunburned through the window of my living room, I decided to nail pretty thick blankets over my four bigger windows. I used to close the mini blinds but I could still feel the heat overpowering my central air. Today I've hardly had to run the air at all to be comfortable.

Side note...DH hasn't said a word LOL

I am trying to live on one salary without compromising our savings, so I'm willing to do a few crazy things.

 
Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2012 in Money & Work

Level 37 (93,457 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (20)
  • People find it odd we do not pay for cable TV... nor do I join a gym. I wash in cold water 95% of the time. I keep our air set at 80/81 in the summer and 65/66 in the winter. Um... I shop a 3 different stores for the best price and use some coupons though I am not a great at the coupons... I shop ONLY clearance and sales and goodwill for clothing.
    But_Mommie

    Answer by But_Mommie at 5:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • No, but I'm impressed with these extreme couponers, lol

    I just don't know what I'd do with 50 boxes of noodles or 75 toothbrushes, lol
    I think it's great!
    PMSMom10

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • Umm... Did you not see my pasta picture?

    I wash everything in cold water.
    I turn off the TV the second SO leaves the room.


    Oi, I'm sure there's more.

    Blankets are a good idea. We got those thermal panel curtains that are supposed to help but they were pricy even on sale. 10 dollars a panel at ROSS and we needed 4 plus the rod. 60 dollars on curtains, what! Glad we did it when we had the money though- before we had kids.
    staciandababy

    Answer by staciandababy at 5:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • PMS I have way more toothpaste than toothbrushes, but no comment on the noodles :x
    staciandababy

    Answer by staciandababy at 5:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • No, I don't. I (gasp) never shop for more than a week's worth of food at a time. I leave my central A/C set to 77 & open up the blinds for natural light.
    3libras

    Answer by 3libras at 5:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • Oh, I do wash 90% of my things in cold water. With the other 10% in warm, never hot.
    3libras

    Answer by 3libras at 5:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • :) Even if my family had large amounts of money I'd still be cheap. Can't help it.
    staciandababy

    Answer by staciandababy at 5:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • Staci, I have a friend who does the same thing. I give her the coupons I don't use, lol
    PMSMom10

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • No, I think it is crazy not to try and save money. I might not be the best at couponing, but I rarely pay full price for anything. I shop sales and clearance. Most of the kids' "new" clothes come from the Airmen's Attic for free, when we buy "new" things for us it is usually from garage sales. We do keep the house cool in the summer because both of our kids get hot very easily, but I wash almost everything in cold water as well. We have tin foil on the sliding door in our bedroom (because we are too cheap for black out curtains).
    AF4life

    Answer by AF4life at 5:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2012

  • LOL...we actually have black out curtains, but they don't fit the door like they fit our window back home and DH was working nights so he covered them in tin foil, that room is pitch black now.
    It's not creepy I think about most of the people when I see stuff about their area. We are managing OK so far, but once the rainy season ends the temp climbs to triple digits on top of the humidity we might have issues. Our kids take after their daddy, they are little heaters and the both are always sticky with sweat (even in the house that is kept at 69).
    AF4life

    Answer by AF4life at 6:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2012