Help need help with getting in a routine for me!!

Hi! I need help with staying up and starting a routine. Need some help from any other moms in my same boat or have been! I get up with my 11 & 12 yr old at 5:50 get them on the bus,fed and ready by 6:25. Then i go back to bed with 3 yr old until he wakes up around 9:00-9:30.I would ideally like to stay awake, get housework done,work out etc. I just cant seem to make myself stay up. I would feel so much better about myself if i got on a routine like this. But seriously lack motivation. Can anyone give me some help or pointers? I find that i am starting to get a bit depressed even. Thank you for any help!
mom2jjl(want to get motivated to get unmotivated)

mom2jjl

Asked by mom2jjl at 4:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Are you getting enough sleep? If you're going to bed too late, that may be part of why you want to sleep longer in the morning. If that's not it and you're just having a hard time getting motivated I would just add one new habit at a time. Pick one extra chore you want to get done before you go back to sleep in the morning. Once that becomes a habit (in a few weeks) you can pick another to work on until eventually you have a morning routine. If you want to eliminate your nap in the morning I would still make some time to relax a little bit after you've done some work and before your 3 yr. old wakes up.
    Anonymous

• If you feel like you have to go back to bed, I'd set the alarm to wake up an hour earlier so you have from 8:30-9 or 9:30 to exercise. OR you could go to sleep in your workout gear and be all ready to go after your kids leave for school...put your sneakers on as soon as you wake up so you've kind of committed.

I'm not sure what the rest of your day looks like, but maybe you could incorporate spending time w/ your 3 yo and take him for walks in a stroller or wagon. If it's too cold where you are, some of the malls offer walking programs.

Maybe after school your older kids could play w/ your 3 yo and you could take some time to workout. You really just have to decide you're going to do it and then go for it. Doesn't matter what time of day - just make YOU a priority for that time.

Good luck! I hope you can find something that works for you!
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 8:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Do you get Fit TV? There are some great 30 minute exercise programs that are on between the time your kids go to school and the little one gets up. I like to do the Namaste Yoga. Its low impact and relaxing, but gives you energy at the same time. Its on at 8:30 on my DirectTV . Thats 15 minutes after the kids leave for school, here. I have a little one, also, but hes up at 7 every day. If I were you, I'd make a promise to myself, and make sure to tell a few other people, not to go back to bed when the kids leave. Find an exercise program you like, and if you don't get it on TV, get a dvd and force yourself for a few days. Right after the older kids leave. That way you'll have your exercise in for the day. If you find you're still tired, go back to bed when you're done You'll find the more you do it the the more you WANT to do it. Good luck!!!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• *Go to bed early, but not too early. The suggested time frame for sleep is 6-8 hours, no more than 8. I would go to bed no later than 10:30-11, if you have to wake up at 5:30, that will give you 6-7hrs of sleep.

*While you're getting the kids up and ready, fix a good healthy and hearty breakfast. I'm not talking biscuits and gravy, i mean balanced protein and fruit. Make an omelet or prepare eggs however you like them with some fresh or frozen fruit and some yogurt. Or, you can substitute with a slice of whole grain toast lightly jellied. The eggs will provide you with protein which is fuel your body needs and it's more satisfying than a bowl of cereal. Stay away from sugary breakfast foods like some cereals, waffles and syrup, toaster strudels, etc. The sugar gives you energy for a moment, but will end up making you crash 30mins-1hr later.
    * After getting kids on the bus, do an exercise from either Exercise TV, Fit TV..
    deacons_mommy07

Answer by deacons_mommy07 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• ...Or if you don't have access to that, do jumping jacks for 2 mins, then march in place for 1mins, jumping jacks again for 2 mins, march in place for 1 min, etc, rinse lather repeat. This will wake your body up, get the blood flowing to all areas of your body and will make you feel energized. Start out doing this exercise 15 mins your first day, then increase at intervals of 5 mins each day once you feel you're comfortable.(when you're not wheezing and asking God for mercy is usually a good indicator that you need to up your time;) )
    The suggested amount of exercise is 2 and 1/2 hours per week, but if you exercise 30 mins a day for 5 days your mood and energy will improve and your weight will shed.
    Also, you can exercise with your toddler. Take him/her for a brisk jog in the stroller at your local park, shopping mall, or around your neighborhood.
    ALso, be sure to take a good mulit vitamin and drink plenty of water.
    deacons_mommy07

Answer by deacons_mommy07 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Thank you for the great responses! I will in the morning start forming a new habit. Not going back to bed and exercising(some form) I know it will help me feel so much better about myself and i will be so much more of the mom my kids deserve!
    Thank you again! ;-)
    mom2jjl

Answer by mom2jjl at 11:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2009