Is this a game to him?!

My two year old will usually go on the potty (only pee). When he has to poop, he tells me and we go up to the potty but he won't go. He then poops in his diaper after a put a new one on! He also will tell me he has to go, i'll take him up and he won't go. So we come back down and he starts crying again about how he needs to go to the potty..... What should i do?!

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• be paitent.. try giving him an m&m everytime and two when he poops.. Or a ballon.. I did this with my son and he has maybe one accident a month..
    Try big boy cool undies and pull ups. I dapers confuse them at this oint it needs to be all or nothing.. JMO
    Good luck
    Oh does he have his own potty or potty ring? if not try one it might make it a bit more inviting for him..
    Make a big deal about he goes in the potty he gets to be the big boy and flush it and wave bye bye to it give him a high five and go one with yoru day..
    Anonymous

• I wonder if you could have a potty chair in an area closer to your living area so you can respond very quickly to his telling you that he needs to go, rather than walk up stairs. Sorry I don't have other suggestions.

Answer by Bmat at 5:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Anon- we do have a potty ring and it did help some. Part of the problem is i have no energy right now, i'm 31 1/2 weeks pregnant and just wore out. I will try the all or nothing thing though.....
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Hang out in the bathroom when he has to go, bring in some books and sing and just see if he will stay on the potty until he goes. Try a sticker chart hung in the bathroom just get some cheap stickers and the dollar store and make a big deal out of trying to fill up all the squares on a piece of paper by getting them for pooping in the potty.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• You could try prizes also- maybe stuff from the $1 store or cheap toys just until he gets the right idea. My daycare used to do that and it helped when they first started.
    twinsmom1214

Answer by twinsmom1214 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2009