What to send to a soldier in Iraq

My daughter's father is in Iraq and has been there for about a month. I have a couple things I am sending but I want to send more. We are not together but are great friends and he is engaged to someone else. I am having trouble figuring out what to send. He keeps telling me he is good but I know he needs something from home because he has been depressed lately. I am sending him his mail but thats boring so I want to add something he can look forward to. Help!?!?

bugsmom06

Asked by bugsmom06 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• I am a military wife and I got sent an awesome list of things to send in care packages. There are soooo many things on there, lots you would never have thought about. Another option would be to look on www.anysoldier.com. It is a site where soldiers, marines, airmen in Iraq can post wish lists for people to send to them but you could look through some of their wishlists to see what others are asking for. Might find some good ideas. I'll try to find the list again and pm you with it.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 5:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• pictures (have your daughter draw him some too)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• fav foods, a book he would be interested in or a book about dealing with stress, kids pics, kids drawings, think about what you would want yourself. idk!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• little koolaid additives for water, small snacks, toothpaste, soap, anything he could feel better about, small packet of wetwipes, pencils papers, callingcards(they really like these) anything you can think of that he can use.Believe it or not, anything that will help him thru the day.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Pictures of your baby. Calling cards, just about anything
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Beanie Babies!

Seriously They Hand Them Out To The Little Kids!

Umm...Snacks Are Always Good, Video Games, Magazines, Toiletries.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 8:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Homemade cookies, A nice journal, Handbook calanders, Photos from family & friends~have them write their own little note on the photo. A card from his daughter with her favorite quote written inside for encouragement.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 9:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Hey, I had a couple friends in Iraq that I sent stuff to. They mostly wanted stuff that would be better than eating MRE's...imagine that! So I sent things that were still easy to cook with just water, like Ramen or the individual Mac & Cheese packets, and some non perishable snacks like cookies, crackers, beef jerkey - you probably know what he likes, just make sure it won't spoil or melt on the way! But don't send pringles...they won't get to him, I was told b/c of the shape of the pringles can, they will destroy the package...and that won't do him any good! Maybe you could send him one or two of those mini "on the road" type games - they are like the normal sized, but little so you can take them on trips and such. Just something to pass the time. I think it's really awesome that you are thinking about him! If you need help putting something together let me know!
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Wet wipes, magazines, beef jerky, pictures from home, Phone cards, red bull, 5 hour energy, movies, games, shower stuff, letters, support the troops pictures from children. Pomus rocks (for feet), Kool-Aid singles, Microwave stuff, books pretty much anything they are thankful for. If you need any help I would be happy to help you. That was the stuff my husband and I liked while we were over there.
    Tonda42

Answer by Tonda42 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Thanks guys! I got some really good ideas and of course I am definitely going to spread it out over the year he is there. He has had a hard time lately telling me when he wants or needs something because I have helped him for so long with supporting him and he doesn't want to be like that anymore. He wants to help me now and feels that if I send him something then he is taking something from me. But he said something the other day that made me see that he is over stressed and needs to feel loved and know people care.
    bugsmom06

Answer by bugsmom06 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2009