Please Help! I can't seem to get my home organized or clean EVER!

The end of August, we moved from a 3BR house with a full basement and garage into a 3 BR apartment with no extra storage space besides the closests in the bedrooms. We don't have a pantry, a hall closet, any kind of extra space to put anything. Since we moved halfway accross the country and knew we'd be in a smaller place, we downsized all of our stuff greatly, and tried to bring bare minimum furniture and tried to get rid of a bunch of junk too. I have been going thru things since we moved here, it's almost a monthly deal now to go thru the kids' rooms and the rest of the house and get rid of more clutter. I have a 22 month old and a 5 year old, so they don't help much and it's like twisting my 5 year olds or husbands arm to help pick up or clean up after themselves. I am now 31 weeks pregnant, due April 3rd, and I'm trying to get this place ready for a new baby, but I can't help feeling like I'm not getting anywhere.

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• start with one prodject at the time focus on say cleaning under the bed such and such day.Closet and only closet another day.Start and do room by room step by step.Do not try to do more than one prodject at the time it will feel overwhelming!Kids can help with say you load a giveaway box from under your bed a trash/bills to burn box.They can help load box to give away in car and set the burning box out to the back.Get them to bring you the trash can.Get ziploc gallon bags write their name on each and when you find someone's belonging out of place in your room put in in bag with their name call them to get it if they won't throw or give away.Hope this helps.Check out www.flylady.com
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I'm sorry I can't be of any help. But why would you do that? From a house to an apartment? I'd go crazy with claustrophobia.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• First thing is to get your dh on board! Have a talk with him and ask him what he is willing to do. Have a list ready to let him know what you need done and would like him to do. He can communicate to the 5 yo son that they are going to be a help, not a hinderance to you. Put daddy in charge of supervising ds when he is home, maybe overseeing him make his bed and put his toys away on Saturday mornings or no cartoons. Hubby's need help with the specifics. I would also ask him for two hours on the each day that he is home to catch up on household chores and errands. Do the grocery shopping while he cares for the kids. You errands will be faster and easier that way. You will feel accomplished. Also, consider taking on one room every day of the week to spruce it up, vaccuum, dust, organize instead of taking it all on every day. Laundry and dishes do daily. I have other suggestions but that seems like enough for
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Try this:

http://motivatedmoms.com/

You can buy a current year calendar for $8, or you can just download the 2002 one there for free and use it without matching the dates exactly (find the 5th Monday in 2002 and make that your start date for tomorrow).  It's customizable, so you can leave out the things that don't apply (like emptying the litter box if you don't have a cat) or add things specific to you (like unpacking a box).

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Thanks for the ideas ladies! I checked out both sites, so hopefully I'll get some good ideas from there! BTW - we went from a house to an apartment b/c we moved from Kansas to Florida - there's a decent difference in cost of living, it's more expensive here in FL, and you don't always get a better paying job. It's ok, we needed to get rid of junk anyway, and this is making us do it. As for my DH, he is getting better, but he grew up either being forced to over clean or not do much at all, and so he's stuck in what I would call "denial" of need to have cleanliness in the house. He's really good about helping with the kids, it's just getting him to get up and do something, especially now that he's gone to 10 hour days, with a 45 minute commute each way, he just doesn't have much time to help when he's home. I just have to press him to do stuff on his days off. I hate feeling like I'm nagging all the time.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well I have a realized that if you want something done most of the time its easier to do myself. I recently purchased a home and once we moved in we statrted to see everything that was wrong with the home and i am very visual so i hated the house and couldnt figure out how to get it clean and organized . so i went my local hardware store homedepot and lowes and found some magazines on storage started looking online at better homes and garden web sites hgtv web sites and you will find all kinds of different ideas that will help you maybe see storage where most wouldnt see it. like shelves with doors on the bottom so u can hide toys. and as for a pantry if u have any available space in kitchen get a tall chrome like shelf unit and but some baskets on it to hide the small items and just stack the other stuff neatly. if you have pretty dish u might want to use the top shelf to hold your dishes instead of ugly ceral boxes.
    alexissmom75

Answer by alexissmom75 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Oh and once you find a place for everything and get rid of the rest it amazing how much easier it is to keep clean . and as for the 5 yr old i have a 6 yr old and a 2 yr old and i have them help me every morning make there beds and turn it into a game when it comes to picking up there toys it seems to work. it almost seemed like a nightmare to get them to help at first but after a week they seem to want to help. good luck and just let me no if you need any web links i think i have them all.
    alexissmom75

Answer by alexissmom75 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2009