Would you let your 12 yearold daughter dress goth and all the accessories?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• NOPE......At 12 they are under my thumb....sorry. ;)

They can pitch a fit and sqwall all they want but nope.

My child will be able to pick what they wear at that age, but I WILL buy all the cloths so it will all be good! ;)
    Anonymous

• absolutely NOT !
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't have a problem with the clothes and jewelry...at least goth kids are usually covered up. I wouldn't allow the hair color or piercings or anything, but as long as the grades keep up, I wouldn't care about the clothes.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• not if she wants to go out with me. believe me i am all about freedom of expression and having your own style but all the goth and emo kids r about to drive me nutts. my little brother just got out of that stage and im just like...do you even have a reason? i mean seriously just give me one reason besides well my friends are doing it. do you know or understand what it means?? i guess thats kids though. lol sry but ahh that really bugs me. kids say they want to be their own person but their own person is who all their friends are at the moment. :D thanks for letting me vent on that a little bit
    Anonymous

• NO! One of our daughters got caught up in this. At first I thought, why not let her express herself the way she wants? I don't want to be too strict (and believe me we're strict). Well I sure was wrong. Next thing you know she was into the emo thing, cutting herself and hating the whole world. Do not let your child get caught up in this type of group. I won't let our daughter wear anything black now or hang out with those friends anymore. She's in therapy and doing well.
    Anonymous

• depends, if she's dressing like a slut with short shorts/skirts and mini/lowcut tops, NO. but it it's just regular shirts and such, i really don't see a problem. i dressed goth at 12 and i was still a good kid.

Clothing doesn't change a person, certain friends can cause peer pressure and other times there are underlying issues.
    Why not ask her why she wants to dress like that. if it's to fit in then it's the wrong reason.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 6:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Absolutely not.

She won't be allowed to dress like that until she's old enough to have a job and buy her own clothes.

Until then she's wearing whatever I or her father buys for her. And while we're not preppy by any means (we lean more towards the punk casual type), "goth" clothing isn't meant for kids that young.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• If it's just a way of dressing to express herself, fine. But at her age not if she's part of a group or you suspect there's something more sinister or unhappiness is behind it.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I did at 12 and 13. My mom even dyed my hair black. I wasn't part of any group, I just wanted to dress like that for about a year. Then I went back to my normal self.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't care. I would ask her reason for wanting to dress like that but for the most part I wouldn't care. I dressed like that occasionally, just because I liked some of the stuff. Clothes don't change a person, the peer pressure at that age is what does. Pay less attention to what she wants to wear and more to who's encouraging her to wear it. If she wants to wear it just because she likes the style then fine. If she wants to wear it because some kids told her that they won't be her friends if she doesn't, then nip it in the bud. Oh, and please, if you let her, don't let her wear black lipstick and all the "gothy" makeup, its tacky.
    Anonymous