Selfish?

Gas prices may be about to shoot back up - because refinery workers are about a day or so away from going on strike. Their demands? Higher pay & full healthcare for all current and retired. The same conditions that have drained the automakers to the point of needing a bailout. With so many out of work, and I'm sure, no shortage of people willing to scab for their jobs, putting survival above union, is this really a time for anyone to demand anything? The refineries have offered a scaling raise - something most people would be happy to see in the age of frozen salaries.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aPGYJDwgQGnM&refer=us

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would just be happy to have a job right now.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Gas prices never did go down in Alaska .People who live in rural areas pay like $7 a gallon.
    Workers have every right to go to strike.
    Anonymous

• I believe there was a time when unions served a perpose but now it seems like they are just ways to be selfish and stupid in a group. When I became a nurse I made less then the men who swept the floor at a local factory. that was stupid and unfair. the union says well he needs to make a decent living but so do the un unionized. if everyone was paid according to their actual skill instead of the unions forcing businesses to overpay some.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• When it comes to unions, we haven't seen anything yet. After the EFCA is signed, many businesses will struggle to make ends meet.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Some might say it was people wanting to be treated well, paid well and have benefits that are driving companies under. I say that it is the frivolous spending. Big companies buying out other companies and paying their CEOs ungodly amounts of money. They make no provisions for catastrophes (like the current economy) and go down the second they have slow sales. Should employees suffer and not ask for better benefits and more pay to take care of their families because these large companies can't balance human resources vs. irresponsible spending? Absolutely not. It is selfish to expect them to. If you feel you aren't compensated for your work and need health benefits, then ask for them. I would hardly blame the workers if the gas prices went back up. A good company (oil companies included) can balance caring for their workers while still charging responsible prices. If they can't, that's not the worker's fault.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• If they walk off the job then they should be replaced. There are plenty of people out of work who will take their place.

Answer by gemgem at 6:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Agree Quinnmae
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

I agree with this. Seems like a quick way to bring about full Socialism and force all to depend on the Government. Hope it is not signed.
    Anonymous

• It seems insane to strike when the economy is so bad. If the union gets their way, the companies will just lay-off workers to compensate for the higher expenses. Then the laid-off workers will sit at home and wonder why there ever agreed to strike in the first place....

I saw this when UPS had a big strike. Lots of people lost good-paying jobs because they felt they needed better-paying jobs. After the strike, they had to take a big cut in pay in the non-union sector.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• NovemberLove -Some might say it was people wanting to be treated well, paid well and have benefits that are driving companies under. I say that it is the frivolous spending. Big companies buying out other companies and paying their CEOs ungodly amounts of money. They make no provisions for catastrophes (like the current economy) and go down the second they have slow sales. Should employees suffer and not ask for better benefits and more pay to take care of their families because these large companies can't balance human resources vs. irresponsible spending? Absolutely not. It is selfish to expect them to.
    -----------------------------------------
    I absolutely agree with you. for some It's very easy to blame the workers at the bottom of the line, but the let the greedy CEO's get away with all their fiscal irresponsibility.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 7:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2009