How much did you hold your newborn?

I know with my first daughter I held her nearly constantly when she was first born...through naps and definitely every time she was awake.

My second is a week old today and since I've got another child to tend to I put her down during her naps, and sometimes when she is awake and not fussy I'll put her in her bouncy seat for a few mins. I feel guilty for it though!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• no dont feel guilty. you cant hold your baby ALL the time. :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I KNOW what you mean.

Same here. My first slept on my chest every nap and was held all the time.

My second came along and I put her down MUCH more than my first.

Its a fact of life, cant help it. You have a house and baby #1 to look after as well. I dont think it is terrible, give yourself a mommy break and realize you are doing the best you can, what more can you do?

Good Luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I held her some but i put her down for naps. Of course, i was like every 1st time mom and wanted to hold her all the time. I head her more at 1st but then i put her on her belly a lot because she didn't like it so i was trying to get her used too it. With this 2nd one, i probably won't hold her as much.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 6:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Buy a good quality ring sling, and you won't have to put her down at all! I wish I'd had one with my middle child. I held my oldest all the time, the middle I did when I could, but the baby I just wear him if I need to do something.
    Anonymous

• I held all 5 all the time. I had a sling. Dont feel guilty though I know a friend of mine was the same with her second baby and he turned out fine.
    Anonymous

• Meh, I must be a horrible first-time mom. I held Joss constantly for the first week...then when I realized how sleep-deprived I was, I learned to put her in her crib for naps and such so I could get a few moments of rest for myself. Now I hold her when she's awake and put her down when she sleeps.

I feel kind of bad reading that almost everyone held their first babies all the time : / Am I a bad first time mom if I DON'T want to hold her all the time?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• All the time. And by the looks at the other replies, I'm a freak. haha. Even when it was my 2nd, I held her all the time. I learned to do alot of things with a baby on me.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I really like the idea of getting a sling. I worry I would bump her into things or something though. I'm not exactly the worlds most graceful creature.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I worked really hard on putting my kids down when they were asleep. But with so many people in the house everyone wanted to hold them including my son when he was 3 and 4. Don't feel guilty.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• We used a sling when ours was about a week old. I am very clumsy and I didn't bump into things with her. And when you are cooking you can adjust the sling so that she is on your back so that you can get stuff done in the kitchen as well. You are a good mom and don't forget that and congrats on the new baby/
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2009