My daughter is 2.5 and I have made no attempts at potty training.

She has her princess potty in the bathroom and we've sat on the potty together a lot, i got the potty when she was 18 months old and she peed and pooped in it the first day then never showed interest again.

I think i'm ignoring the issue because I know NOTHING about it.

What the heck do I do?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, I think most children don't really comprehend using the potty until around 2 1/2. My 2 1/2 is almost fully trained (except she still needs a pull up at bedtime). It sounds bizarre but, like the PP said, having them runaround at home in just underwear is the easiest way to train.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• Choose an approach and stick to it. My now 3 1/2 yo didn't train until he turned 3, then it was almost overnight. We did the run around in underwear and a tshirt, went nowhere for 3 days, sat on the potty every 1/2 hour when the timer went off, read 3 books each time he was on the potty, got 3 m&ms when he went pee, 5 m&ms for a bm. Within the first day he had it down, by the 3rd day we were able to go on short trips to the store and within 2 weeks he was wearing underwear all the time, even at night with no accidents.
    I've used variations of that with my older 3 kids as well, but different things work for different kids. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 5:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• My daughter was 3 when I started potty training her. There are SO many posts here in Answers about potty training, just do a search. The biggest thing to remember is that you have to wait for your child to be interested otherwise it becomes a power struggle that you will lose.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• Start by reading her some books about going potty like a big kid, maybe take her to pick out some special "big girl" undies (pull-ups are ok for night time or if you're out and about but real undies are probably the best way to actually get her trained fast), and then just start doing it! Ask her every little while if she needs to go or wants to sit on the potty, give her rewards for going (maybe start a sticker chart or something) but try not to punish when she makes a mess, just keep reminding her that pee and poop go in the potty and not in the underwear. Potty training isn't something to be afraid of, it is as natural as teaching your child how to EAT...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• what worked for me:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• You keep putting her on the potty tell he know she is supose to pee and poop in it all the time. Putting her in regular panties will help too.

Answer by louise2 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2012