I think I made a mistake...

Hey everyone. I am 13 weeks pregnant and about 2 weeks ago I took some pepto bismol to help with the stomache ache. I saw a post on here saying that pepto bismol can actually cause cleft lip and some other complications in the baby. I only took one dose of it but you just never know. Do you think it will affect the baby or if I should talk to my Ob about it? Or any advice at all? Thanks alot!

AmberNation

Asked by AmberNation at 6:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can talk to your ob but I dont think one dose should be that traumatic.

I use to take Tums all the time, my Dr said it was ok....but check with yours first!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/is-pepto-bismol-safe-to-take-during-pregnancy/

http://www.drugs.com/cons/pepto-bismol.html

Here's you a few web-sites that may help you. I'm sure one dose isn't going to hurt, but I wouldn't take anymore. Good luck and try not to worry. (I know, easier said than done!)
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• When I was preggers my Dr told me it was fine to take antacids.... I think you'll be okay but if it makes you nervous talk to your OB at your next appt! Good Luck
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I don't think it will harm your baby, but, I'm not a doctor. Call your OB and ask to be sure. Ask what is safe to take.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• pepto bismol actually has pain killers in it and that is why they say not to use it... just take tums and you will be fine.. i had really bad heartburn and was taking pepto bismol then found out i was pregnant i wouldnt worry too much... talk to your doctor they can explain it better
    Anonymous