Ear Infections

I took my daughter to the Dr again for another ear infection this is like the 4th one since shes been born and she is only 7 months old. When do they consider putting tubes in ears??? My Dr didn't say anything about this but I have a couple friends who's kids ended up with tubes and I'm just wondering when they would do that

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our pediatrician says that as long as the ear infections clear up each time, they don't consider tubes. It's when they have trouble getting them cleared up tubes are brought up.

My second son had them with every single cold he had as a baby...but they always cleared up...so no tubes.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• my son had about 7 diagnosed ear infections in one year, but im sure there were more.
    my doctor wouldnt send him to an ENT doctor or consider tubes 'because they cleared up every time'. sure they clear up with medication, but what happens when my son is immune to every antibiotic because he gets an ear infection ever other week?

i eventually DEMANDED my son be referred to one. once i got the the ear doctor, it took him about 2 minutes to decide he needed tubes.
    in his opinion, basically when a kid has 4 to 6 eat infections in one year, the kid most likely needs tubes, and it should at least be considered.

after my son got them in it was night and day. and theyve since fallen out, and his dont need to be replaced. he just needed a little help draining.

go to an ENT.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 7:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I have also heard from my grandmother and stepmother that when bottle feeding your baby make sure you keep their head propped up and make sure they aren't eating while laying flat or head down, cause the ears stuff is still growing and developing and when they eat while laying or head is flat the milk or fluid can some how get in the ear and it just sits there which causes the infection cause it can't exit the area.
    So maybe watch how you are feeding your baby. See if that helps cut back on some ear infections.
    I had to grandmothers tell me to watch that with my baby.
    She is only a month old, I have beeb careful with that, No ear infections so far. Don't know if she is to young?
    But just what I have heard.
    mgurl

Answer by mgurl at 10:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• When you take her for a bath use ear plugs.I would take her to a ear,nose and throat specialist.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• try to keep her head elevated when she sleeps. drool and spit up are big factors in this. i folded up a soft blanket about 4inches thick. placed it under my sons sheet that way theres no suffication hazzard.
    bryoungker

Answer by bryoungker at 3:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2009