need advice for housebreaking a doberman

How do u train a doberman puppy to NOT bite and NOT pee or shit in the house

mommam58122

Asked by mommam58122 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pets

• have you had other puppies before that you had to train? well if so same thing
    Anonymous

• You can try books. There are housebreaking books for specific types of dogs at Petco and Barnes and Noble. Also there is a great book called, Housebreaking for Dummies! I love those books, very informative. But, I think they best way is consistancy. You have to keep doing the same thing at the same times during the day. If you have a crate, I know that is the best way to start the process.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doberman_Pinscher I was raised with a Dobie but I was too young to remember. We just got a Weimerainer about 2 weeks ago and she was already housebroken. I looked her information up and it fits her to a T. Maybe wikipedia will help some. A dog we had llong time ago was crate trained. Meaning that they were punished in their cage. If they pottied in the house (even after being housebroke) all we yelled was "cage" and they went with the tails tucked. They even went without being told cause they knew. We also both worked so it was a little easier to train this way but it can still be done. Just stick to it. Of course take them out every couple hours but the "rubbing the nose in it" didn't work. It was the strict cage training. And lots of praise not necessarily treats when they were good but praise. Hope this helps..it's tough house-breaking any animals...but dogs are the worse.
    qtmomisme

Answer by qtmomisme at 8:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• A puppy is a puppy and they all train the same way..consistency! As far as the biting, no teeth on the human is ever acceptable. Give a firm no, like you mean it and remove his teeth from the human. Substitute a toy or chew bone after the brief scolding. Never smack your puppy as this makes them leery of people. You do not want your pup to fear you but rather respect you. Working dogs as a whole need a valid reason why they should or should not do something. They question everything. It is your job to answer and give a valid reason. As far as housebreaking, routine and timing is crucial. The pup is training you to be on top of his behaviour. Crate training is the quickest most non stressful way for both of you. Most pups will have to go to the bathroom approximately 10 minutes after feeding/drinking and waking. When you can not supervise your pup, crate him. It is for his safety and your sanity.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 10:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• cont. Keep in mind that no puppy is ever 100% housebroken until at least one year of age and even then they may still have an accident. When we crate train puppies we have them out on the hour, sometimes more if they start sniffing around. We never give our pups the oppurtunity to pee on the floor. They are carried from the crate to the outdoors or when they are sleeping on the floor. If your pup refuses to go the bathroom when you put them outside, put them back in the crate and try again in 10 mins.. He will catch on if you are consistent.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 10:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I own a Doberman Puppy and I agree with everything Equusvetgal said! Please please please don't stick thier nose in it!! They don't understand that! And crate training has NOTHING to do with punishment!! It is a safe place for them to be that is like their den. They learn from the litter that they don't go to the bathroom where they sleep. Make sure it is only big enough for the puppy to stand, turn around and lay down. You want to give them a bedroom - not an entire apartment! Be consistent and keep a routine. A good rule of thumb is 2 hours for every month old is how long they can hold it. Always take them out 10-15 minutes after they eat or play. And praise them for going where you want them to! Make it a big deal and act like a moron! The sillier you are the more they enjoy it!! Good Luck
    hms1223

Answer by hms1223 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I have a new puppy in the house. At first you need to be disciplined and take them out every 15 minutes. Then stretch it to 30 minutes. Let them get the message to go outside and be consistent. Positive comments when they are doing their thing outside. You can scold the puppy, not harshly, do not rub their nose in it. It takes some effort but is well worth it. If you catch them in the act, immediately take him/her outside. Good Luck~!
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Hi I am 44 and had Doberman's all my life. Puppies are just like having kids. You have to be diligent in potty training. Everytime they start to go in the house hurry to pick them up and say no no outside as your walking out with them let them finish outside and then praise. Make a big deal a Potty Time Party! Let them know how proud you are of them Dobermans especially want to please their owners. Alos important....every hour say outside make a big deal and take them outside when he or she goes make a big deal! I can't save that enough. For the crap pick it up with something and make sure they you do it and walk it outside and put it in the yard. They need to know that smell belongs outside. Finally the biting, this is a puppy it's teething time. Plenty of chew toys. Knotted rope is great. No Rawhide. When the puppy is playing and gets to rough simply tap the snout with a firm NO bad dog. Again Doberman's do not like to
    genav

Answer by genav at 6:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• continued- dissappoint their owners. Your praise is important to them. If you need any other help please feel free to email me at grvfamily@yahoo.com My family also bred them.
    genav

Answer by genav at 6:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2009