Follow up to DD's friend got kicked out.

So this is a follow up with another question. To recap the 18 yr old was kicked out (or left depending who you talk to parents or kid) after he had been on the street for over 24 hrs and then called his parents which didn't go well at all. Turns out the kid has daily meds he has to take that got left at home when he left. The parents say to get his meds he needs to go back home, if he doesn't return home they will send them but he'll never be welcomed back home. He is scared to go home, he doesn't want to be there, he feels like he is mistreated there. I can't keep the kid here for the long term, I am at a loss of what to do. On top of it all he still has another year of school left so he can't just go find a job and start a life. I'm really torn up dealing with this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• WHY is he being mistreated? Are his concerns legitimate, or that of a teenager. The least he needs to do is return home and gets those meds. He's old enough to take THAT responsibility.
    Anonymous

• call the cops... let them help sort it out. The parents are total ass holes to let it get this far... he may be 18 but he's far from an adult if he still has a year of high school left.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• Are his concerns legitimate, or that of a teenager.

WTF does that mean.... a teenager can't have legitimate concerns?? That's BS.
    Crafty26

• Uh, I meant teenage concerns as in "I think I'm grown and shouldn't have to listen to anyone" type concerns. Not BS, thank you.
    Anonymous

• They will not just let him go home to get his meds. It's either return home or have his meds mailed to him and never be welcomed back. I do not know his parents so I can't say what is even remotely true or not. He says his parents are verbally abusive, he didn't exactly say that but what he did say boils down to that. My DD has heard them screaming at him on the phone out of no where and says things escalate quickly. I'm only hearing his side of the story and don't really think I can discuss this with his parents.

What would calling the police achieve he's 18 they don't have to legally allow him to go home even if he really wanted to, yet he's not to a point in life that he can try to make it on his own.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• Clearly you cannot take on an 18 year old child. Even at 18, with a year of school left, he's capable of getting a part time job and, perhaps, renting a room while he finishes school.

Is that the best solution? Not at all. But it may be the only one that is viable at this point. If his parents are the type to treat him poorly then he's going to have to find his own path soon anyway.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• Not sure what other kind of options you are looking for..
    Anonymous

• I don't know it just hurts me to know I have to drop this kid back off to a home that he is clearly telling me he is scared to be in. Though I don't know how to help him. I just can't take on another kiddo I have my own two kids. Can I with a clear mind take away from my own kids to support this kid. I didn't get him with the intent of being a perm. solution I got him thinking he could have a roof over his head for a few days while things cooled out at home and he could talk to his parents daily and figure this out. I just know I'm going to cry when I have to take him home, it kills me to know he doesn't feel loved or safe at home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• You could always make him get a part time job to help out if he wants to stay there.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• I agree with Sara maybe he can work to contribute if money is your only concern.  Maybe you need to finally talk to his parents and get their side first.  See how their mannerisms are, see if they are as bad as he says.  I hope things work out. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:26 AM on Jun. 26, 2012