Why are people giving me a hard time about going to school while being a mom?

I am sick and tired of everyone saying I'm neglecting my kids because I chose to go to school! It's really pissing me off! Would they rather I just live off public assistance for the rest of my life? I'm doing something not only for myself but for them. People need to lay off.

Do you think I'm neglecting my kids?

Gin_Sins

Asked by Gin_Sins at 2:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2012 in General Parenting

• I dont know. I do not think going to school versus staying at home is bad at all. I want to go to school.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Jealousy?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• It's my opinion that there are too many people with too much time on their hands and, because they don't know any better, they turn to observing other people. Criticizing those same people just makes these wasters feel better.

Going to school is an investment in your and you children's future and, as such, is one of the best things you could do. Keep up the good work!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:53 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• First off congratulations of going to school. Being a mom and a student myself I know it isn't easy to juggle the demands of both. As for those who are judging you for doing what's best for your family, I believe they are nothing but jealous. As winterglow stated they have way too much time on their hands. Don't let their petty childish behaviour get to you, if anything you are setting a excellent example for your child/ren that in and of itself is very important.  Keep it up momma you're doing just fine.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Just wanted to come back and add that I went back to school AND homeschooled my son at the same time. Hubby had a second shift type job so I took my classes during the day and taught my son in the evenings.

Some people just have to have someone to talk bad about and you are the target at the moment. Just ignore them and they will go away.

PS: My previous answer ... they are JEALOUS of you for taking a step they couldn't or wouldn't.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• i think what you are doing is great. you are not neglecting your children. you are making it so that they can have a better life. good for you mama! i want to go back to school but it has to wait a couple more years :(
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Who says those things to you? Your family or your friends? SAHM's?
    ignore them. Do what you think is right for you and your family.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Don't worry about what others think or say. They aren't living in your shoes. They aren't clothing and feeding your children. They aren't paying your bills. Next time, kindly tell them to STFU.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• That's what drives me crazy about some people... they think just because someone is a SAHM that it's the only thing they should do. Then they complain because they stay at home and do nothing. Why not be glad that they are furthering their education instead of griping about it.  I went to school when my son was a baby and even though I didn't pursue what I went to school for, it's something that I can fall back on. I say congrats to you!!!  You are doing what you need and want to do.  Don't worry about what others have to say.  It all boils down to what you and your hubs have made a plan for.  If they aren't paying your bills then they don't matter!

Good luck on your journey!! :0)

goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Really who gives a fuck what everyone thinks. You are doing something good for yourself and your future, which is good for your kids. This is not neglect. There are always people who will judge you negatively and try to bring you down no matter what you do. Ignore ignore ignore. No need to defend yourself either.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2012