Im a bad mom

I feel so bad and upset,yesterday my son pulled up and tryed catching him but he fell and hit his head on the wood floor,he is fine tho mark and nothing ,he cryied a lot and for a long time but i think it might be from me crying so hard bc I felt bad bc I did not catch him,I really can't sleep over this bc I feel like a bad mom,I guess my question is I'm a bad mom for not catching my son ,I was sitting right next to him but it happend so fast.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• accidents happen. you are not perfect and not one expects you to be. its not like you pushed him to the ground. try not to beat yourself up too bad(i'm the master of this lol so i am not judging ). and you are right he probably cried more because you did.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• you are NOT a bad mom. It happened and chances are it will happen many times. You will not always be there to catch him when he falls. Kids are more resilient then you think. Will he get hurt sometimes, sure! But it is NOT your fault. It is how kids learn.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Nope. Accidents happen. No child makes it through childhood without falling. Relax
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Some people would consider me a "helicopter mom", and even though I am by my DDs side 24/7 almost, she has still fallen down, hit her head, rolled backwards... Accidents happen, and they often do happen VERY fast. With no time to react.
    Dont beat yourself up over it. As long as your LO is doing ok, everything is fine. Kids will fall. They will get bruises, scratches, lumps, bumps, rashes... And all you can do is do your best, and deal with them, as they happen, the best you can.
    No child will go their whole childhood without a tumble or fall. It happens to us all :)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• I'm pretty sure that unless they've wrapped their child in bubble wrap, stuck them in a plastic bubble and leave them in their crib 24/7, EVERY parent has a story about the time their kid fell/tripped/slipped/whatever and got a booboo. Probably more than one. It happens. Kids get hurt. Heck, we can fall as adults and get hurt, so why should we expect to be able to completely prevent our kids from doing it? You are NOT a bad mom, and you do not need to feel so bad. Feeling bad that he's hurting is fine, feeling guilty as though you're somehow responsible is not necessary.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:21 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• If that is all it takes to make you a bad mom then a good mom must be nothing more than a fairy tale...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Thanks eveyone u feel a lot better ,I guess I felt bad bc he is my 1st and the 1st time he fell
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Dont even worry about it. The first time my DD fell down and cried, I rushed her to the ER. And she didnt even have a bump or bruise, I was so freaked out!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Ever since my son has been mobile, and particularly since he discovered how to climb or throw himself onto the bed, etc., he has generally had some sort of injury - usually on his face - and mostly while I or someone else like his grandmas was right next to him. They are quick! Best you can do is baby proof as much as possible and try to help them understand not to climb (doesn't work well for me so I just helped him understand how to do it effectively on the safest stuff), etc. It happens. Don't beat yourself up. Hugs.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Happens to us all. The only thing is that you should NOT put the baby down for a nap for a few hours after they hit their head. Just to make sure that they are OK & no concussion. Keep a watch out for these things after a fall: If the baby is lethargic & cannot stay awake, vomiting after fall & pupils fully dilated. If you experience these issues then call the Pediatrician right away & have them take a look at the baby.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2012