Tax help....Do I have to show my tiny amount of income?

I only worked 1 month in the beginning of the year. I made about 700.00. I did receive a W-2. Do I have to claim that income along with Hubby's on our taxes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• Over 600, yes you do.
    Anonymous

• Yes. All income must be reported--especially if you received a W-2 form. The amount will not likely change your tax bracket, but it needs to be included.

I work retail part-time during the holiday season (my fun money), and probably earn no more than $700ish, and I include it on our taxes.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Thanks Ladies! I just filed and wanted to make sure I did it correctly.
    Anonymous

• Yes. If it was just your income, then you would not need to file. However, since you are filing with hubby, all income must be reported. I recommend filing any amount if withholding was withheld. Might as well get that peice back! :)
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• If you received a W-2 then most definitely. That means that the company you worked for reported that they paid you, to the IRS.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• NO!!

http://www.bankrate.com/yho/itax/news/taxguide/file-return1.asp

File a return
    Three things must be considered when determining whether you have to file a return: your age, your filing status and your income. Generally, once you reach a certain income level, the law requires you to file. The amounts are adjusted annually for inflation.

For 2008 tax returns, individuals younger than age 65 must file if they make at least:

$8,950 as single filers.
    $11,500 as head of household filers.
    $17,900 as married couples filing jointly and both husband and wife are younger than 65.
    Anonymous

• Yes since it is over $600.00
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 12:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Anon 11:32, this OP did not say that $700 was the only income. If you are married and you file MFJ and their income together is more than their standard ded. and both personal exemptions, of course she would still need to file.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2009