Are hatefull text messages a form of harassment?

My soon to be ex and I are going thru a NASTY divorce. He texts me every few days with hateful texts, even going as far as to say I am being stopped by the cops and that I am leaving our son alone in the van while I go shopping! First of all I have NEVER and would NEVER leave any of my kids alone in the van while I go shopping! And second I haven't been stopped by the cops for any reason in YEARS!!! I don't keep him from seeing our son, he sees him every other week and every holiday. How should I respond to these texts? Could they be considered a form of harrassment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• Honestly it sounds like he has a plan here. He is making off the wall accusations that would portray you as an un-fit mother... and this is likely to all comeout in court, whether it is true or not.

Definitely stop replying, document, but also get some form of legal documentation every single time he does this... laywer, police, whatever.

You may also want to keep a journal of what you were doing at these times he's accused you and who you were with... so you can have some proof that there is no truth. Instead of him portraying you as un-fit... he may just make the court see that he is a little crazy.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yep, do not erase them and file a report.
    Anonymous

• yes it is...save the texts...good luck my dear...and so sorry he is being this way!
    bkt84

Answer by bkt84 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• BTW, don't respond to them.
    Anonymous

• yes if you ask him to stop and he doesnt then its harassment and falls under the same law as if someone were calling you. He cannot text more then 3 times in an hour or its harassment. Call the sheriff or PD and file a report.
    Anonymous

• dont know if they could be considered anything, but if you have a lawyer or even going through court for all this, you should not respond to any of it, you should keep them in your phone or print them, probably keep them in your phone since his number showed up.

use all of everything he does as evidence whether its saying stuff like that or anything, its also a good thing to write down time and date he did something not good.

i personally hate it when people dont respond, resonding to his texts are just a good way to create more drama since it seems like he wants it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• print em out and take them to court. its evidence.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I reponded to some of them. I have locked both the messages he sent me and the ones I sent him into my phone. I keep a journal of everything does and says. I also keep a log of what time he gets him, what time he returns him. If we have any harsh conversations I also log that. I do have an attorney and can't wait to DIVORCE his a**. His b.s. is getting SOOOO OLD!
    Anonymous

• oh and i might add....get a new phone number and ditch that phone so he cant do that any more AFTER everything is over.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• call the police and ask them

Answer by admckenzie at 9:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2009