Breastfeeding question

Im breastfeeding my 2 week old daughter. I plan to go out for an hour with a friend for a couple drinks, Thursday evening. I do not plan to get drunk, just drink one or two drinks. When i get home, do i pump and then throw it out just once? or do i need to pump a couple times to be sure no alchohol is in the breast milk?

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thanks ladies! Yes I have milk stored! So I could just use that, and throw out what I pump when I get home. Better safe then sorry!
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Don't breastfeed drunk, don't pump if you don't need to, 1-2 drinks should be fine by the time you get home depending on what the drink is. Do you have breastmilk stored? Maybe skip one feeding but don't lose sleep over it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• you don't need to pump and dump unless you need to relieve pressure or to keep your supply up because you fed the baby a bottle. all you need to do is give your body time to filter out the alcohol. an hour per drink at least.

I would feed baby right before you leave. have one drink as soon at you get to the bar and then have a non-alcoholic drink for #2. then when you get home, you can feed baby if she wants.
    zetajen

Answer by zetajen at 2:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• It depends on how often your baby feeds and how much you drink. Alcohol goes through breast milk the same as it does through your blood stream... so even if you do not pump and dump your milk is fan as long as you are sober. So if you have a drink or two and feel fine enough to drive in 2 hours then your milk is fine as well. But do be careful because too much alcohol is dehydrating and can effect your supply which at 2 weeks is still trying to establish it's self. Have fun!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• TheBookGirl

Answer by TheBookGirl at 2:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• If you can feel the effects of the alcohol, then it's still in your milk. If you're not feeling the effects anymore, then it's passed through your system. You can always pump and dump once when you get home if you need to, but you shouldn't need to do more than that if you're only having 1-2 drinks.
    Have fun!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Depends on how much you drink.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2012