Bed Bugs

On June 9th I took my girls to a hotel/water park. About 10 days after being home we discovered bed bugs. I called the hotel to report itbut they said they haven't had any reports of bed bugs. I called Terminix and they did an inspection and said it seems like we have had them short term..just a few weeks due to the size and the fact that they hadn't really spread in our house. It was $800 to have the treatment done. I called htel back and the manger said they have had reports but not on that side of the hotel so we couldn't have gotten them there. I am not giving up. I feel like they should do something for me. My room was $240, I got 2 mattress covers for $80 to put on my bed for prevention, we bought several over the counted bug sprays and used them for 2 days before I researchd and called the exterminator. What steps would you take next with the hotel? I told him I want a 3rd party inspection done..sooo who should I call? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2012 in Travel

• Eeeww. Not on that side of the hotel? Are they serious? They have to be kidding? Or just ignorant to the fact that bed bugs are "travelers". They travel on people, on people's belongings and they especially like electrical outlets, which means they travel from place-to-place without necessarily hitching a ride from people. My DH is a certified licensed exterminator and has owned a pest control biz for 20 years. As the ladies commented, definitely report them in a review online and to their local health department. If it is a "chain" make a report/complaint to their corporate office as well. All of the hotels need to be in the practice of doing everything they can to deter bed bug activity in their establishments. As in call in the professionals on a regular basis.
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 2:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2012